On 2021-06-20 06:03, Shawn Heisey wrote:
Unrelated, and off topic because it's mostly about Apache, but strange:

I've been doing some tests with webpagetest.org, and seeing REALLY
long load times for some resources in their waterfall graph.  I see no
speed problems when I load the pages from my workstation at home.

Followup on this, information which others here might find useful:

By default WebPageTest defaults to traffic shaping of 5 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up, which it thinks simulates a cable connection. That's laughable -- I get 460 Mbps down and 12 Mpbs up on my cable connection, and I'm not even paying for the maximum bandwidth I COULD get.

Long story short, hitting a web page with about 25 megabytes of images takes over 40 seconds for WebPageTest to render. If I switch from that default "5/1 Mbps Cable" traffic shaping to native (no traffic shaping at all) the render takes 1.8 seconds, which is approximately what I see when I hit the page myself. Server in AWS.

When I do the math, 40 seconds is actually quite fast for downloading those images on a 5 megabit connection. So there was no actual problem. WBT needs to make the choice of traffic shaping a lot more prominent, and provide more realistic options than what they have at the moment. To even see bandwidth options, you have to open advanced settings. And the only option I could see in their list that's faster than the default (aside from native) is FIOS, which they've got at 20Mb down and 5Mb up. They have forums, I'll make suggestions there.

Thanks,
Shawn