On Sun, May 08, 2022 at 10:21:28AM +0100, David CARLIER wrote:
> On Sun, 8 May 2022 at 09:57, Willy Tarreau <w...@1wt.eu> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, May 01, 2022 at 03:33:17PM +0100, David CARLIER wrote:
> > > Hi here a little patch to set idle time for SO_KEEPALIVE socket option.
> >
> > Now merged, thanks.
> >
> > David, one comment though, your commit messages keep missing a lot of
> > crucial information for reviewers and debuggers, and I had to spend time
> > documenting myself on keep-alive on MacOS to figure the differences and/or
> > what the impacts or limitations of the patch could be. I finally found and
> > put that information into the commit message, but it would be much easier
> > if you could put it yourself after your development since you actually
> > have access to the information I had to seek, and know the reasoning
> > behind your choice.
> >

> Thanks, fair point :-) I ll take it in account

Thanks ;-)

> even tough I was certain for this one it would not break anything.

Quite frankly, experience tells us we really never know. If MacOS in
the future version would define the TCP_KEEPIDLE macro, that would be
sufficient to break the build for example.

> > The new choice was explained again. Finally, two weeks later I got a
> > report of breakage when using external code linked at run time, the
> > keyword registration didn't work anymore due to a mistake in this last
> > patch. Fortunately, the design decision was explained and I could
> > restart from this, figure my mistake and make sure that the 3rd attempt
> > at a fix this time addressed all 3 identified use cases:
>
> Do you have a reasonable numbers of macOs users or is it a rare occurrence ?

I really don't know, here it was on the CI. Outside of the CI, breakage
is usually reported in this order:
  - Linux
  - FreeBSD
  - MacOS
  - others, in random order

Thus I guess it translates the number of occurrences in field. I suspect
that a number of admins have macs and are used to build it locally to test
their configs, and that it's probably a non-negligible part of the MacOS
reports. But as usual, I could be totally wrong ;-)