Hello,

On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 07:27:12PM -0400, Brad Smith wrote:
> On 7/15/2022 1:34 AM, ???? ??????? wrote:
> > I wonder how do NetBSD/OpenBSD ports work, do they use their own
> > "install" invocation instead of "make install" ?
> > shouldn't they switch to "make install" ?
>
> NetBSD uses the Makefile's install targets but patches out the -v flag.
> OpenBSD used it's own install target
> but I'm trying to remove that special casing and I had basically the same
> sort of diff NetBSD has. Can't switch
> to the make install target until the Makfile is fixed.

I agree with the principle of your patch, just not with the way it's done,
because this variable "IV" is a bit cryptic and not easy to follow. Other
programs also like to redefine the install program, thus I'd propose a
simpler and more flexible approach:

  - define "INSTALL = install" early, next to DESTDIR and friends
  - set "INSTALL = install -v" in the LINUX targets
  - use $(INSTALL) in the install targets

This way it even allows users of any platform to simply pass the INSTALL
variable to match their needs (including setting it to "ginstall -v" on
non-linux platforms where this often points to GNU install).

Thanks,