On Tue, Aug 09, 2022 at 03:14:34PM -0600, Shawn Heisey wrote:
> On 8/7/22 10:07, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> > Given that QUIC users in 2.6 tend to be a bit forced to update to 2.7-dev
> > to improve reporting, we're starting to think about updating the QUIC stack
> > in 2.6 to match 2.7 once we're done with the pending issues.
> I am not at all familiar with the code, and I probably never will be ... at
> this time and for the foreseeable future, I have no need to be familiar with
> code for TLS and low-level networking, and it would be a huge time
> investment to become familiar with it. Perfectly happy to let others be the
> experts.
> Updating the whole QUIC stack in 2.6 to what's in 2.7-dev sounds to me like
> a good idea.  Some of my web pages are mostly unusable when doing http/3
> with 2.6 on Firefox.  Chrome works a lot better, but I have seen some
> problems there too.  I switched to 2.7 from git about the time dev2 was
> released.  So far everything that I have tried with 2.7 works very well on
> both browsers.

Indeed we tried to backport all QUIC bugs but this is not enough for the
moment and we continue to improve features and refactor the code on
2.7-dev, so it difficult to maintain a clean QUIC on 2.6. Hopefully, it
should not be too hard to align the two versions once we have fixed some
remaining issues.

> It will be very interesting to see how things shake out when the openssl
> team eventually gets around to tackling QUIC.  I won't be able to follow a
> lot of it, but I will take an occasional look.
> I love working with haproxy.  Can't thank Willy et al enough for all the
> effort involved.  For my own websites, I just use it as a reverse proxy
> handling TLS, and some minor filtering/fixup, not a load balancer, but if I
> ever get enough spare hardware for redundancy, that might change.  At a
> previous $DAYJOB I did set it up as a load balancer.  I think I got up to
> 1.5.18 by the time that job ended.
> I like this little web page I made.  A tiny bit of php code.
> https://http3test.elyograg.org/

Thank you very much for your kind words and your first reports on QUIC
which have greatly helped us. Let's hope we keep refine QUIC support
even more in the near future.

--
Amaury Denoyelle