It took us a while to upgrade the environment to a newer version.
I can confirm that the anomaly mentioned earlier was related to the
timeouts set.
A *timeout http-keep-alive *configuration change was required on 2.4.19, to
avoid negative impact on the growth of the ssl key generated.

- * timeout http-keep-alive 500*
+ timeout http-keep-alive 40s
 timeout client  40s
 timeout server  40s

This case may have been specific to our configuration, but perhaps someone
on the list will have a similar situation and will find it easier to
resolve.

Thank you for your earlier help.

Regards
Tomek