i've always thought of IPVS and DSR as a poor man's anycast.  for stateless protocols (DNS, NTP, RADIUS, Kerberos, Syslog) i have anycast setup.  for MariaDB, OpenLDAP and other stateful protocols, i use HAProxy.  for HTTP, which is stateless but is being driven towards stateful-ness with TLS, session maintenance, etc, i do use HAProxy as the intelligence and connection reuse capabilities make for a lot of performance and scalability gains.

best,

brendan