From: YW Loke <ywloke.m...@gmail.com>
To: beritamalay...@yahoogroups.com; bmalay...@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 5:59 AM
Subject: [beritamalaysia] MI: Election handouts not bribes - Nazri

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/mobile/malaysia/article/nazri-election
-handouts-not-bribes/

Nazri: Election handouts not bribes

UPDATED @ 03:01:03 29-03-2011
By Shazwan Mustafa Kamal

Nazri: We have already promised that if we won we would fulfil (our
manifesto)...for example a sewing machine, if we do not give it during
elections we will give it after elections, is that a crime?

KUALA LUMPUR, March 29 - Handout and goodies in the form of financial
assistance to voters during elections cannot be considered as corruption,
Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz said today.

This, according to the minister was because financial aid given to voters
during an election was the federal government's way of "fulfilling its
promises" and manifestos.

"We have already promised that if we won we would fulfil (our
manifesto)...for example a sewing machine, if we do not give it during
elections we will give it after elections, is that a crime?

"We cannot stop this because well, we will be giving it after (elections),"
said the minister during a reply to PKR Ketereh MP Ab Azizi Kadir.

The PKR MP had asked the government to state whether it considered financial
assistance during elections or by-elections as a form of corruption.

Nazri also stated that six by-elections corruption cases have been
investigated by The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) from 2008 to
2010.

He also said that a total of RM11,185,542.93 (11.2) million was spent on 16
by-elections since 2008.
____

http://www.malaysia-chronicle.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view
=item&id=9737:who-says-election-handouts-not-bribes-saifuddin-
slams-nazri&Itemid=2

Who says election handouts not bribes: Saifuddin slams Nazri
New Jo-Lyn, Malaysia Chronicle  Tuesday, 29 March 2011

Voters, especially those in Sarawak, will punish BN during the elections for
thinking they are stupid and trying to buy their votes by offering handouts
and goodies, said Member of Parliament for Machang Saifuddin Nasution.

He was referring to remarks made by Minister in the Prime Minister's
Department Nazri Aziz that hand-outs and goodies in the form of financial
assistance to voters during elections could not be considered as corruption.

According to Nazri, the financial aid given to voters during an election was
the federal government's way of "fulfilling its promises" and manifestos.

But Saifuddin accused Nazri and the BN government of abuse of power and
misuse of taxpayers' money. Very often, the promises were never kept or the
money allocated for the various projects were "hijacked" midway and never
reached the people it was destined to help.

"They think they can fool people, especially those who live in the rural
areas in Sarawak because of their poor living conditions. But what are now
the relevant issues for these people are the land exploitation," Saifuddin,
who is also the PKR secretary-general, told Malaysia Chronicle.

Worse than Dr M's time

The PKR leader said the indigenous people were now more aware of their land
rights and after 30 years under Chief Minister Taib Mahmud's rule, they know
that he is more concerned about his personal wealth than their welfare.

Saifuddin also said being on the ground for the last few months and
observing the situation in Sarawak, he was confident instant help in the
form of goodies will not attract the voters to support BN anymore.

In the past, money was a key carrot for gaining votes from the rural Sarawak
folk. This time the voters will not be taken for a ride and will show their
true feelings through the ballot box by denying BN a victory.

"It is obvious Nazri and the government are making use of funds to buy
support from people. This is a more blatant misuse of funds compared to Dr
Mahathir Mohamad's time," said Saifuddin.  -  Malaysia Chronicle
____

http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/159997

Vote fishing at official gov't function
Aidila Razak  Mar 29, 11  4:39pm  [extract]

Ruling coalition BN appears to be kicking off its campaign for the 13th
general election early by using official government events as a platform to
rally support.

An example of this was the walkabout in selected Selangor constituencies by
Deputy Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin, which had the DPM clearly calling
for support for BN to win over Selangor in the next polls.

At a town hall meeting in the Ampang parliamentary constituency, Muhyiddin
said BN has always put the people first and as such, the obvious choice come
elections is BN.

"The rakyat can choose whoever they see fit. In Selangor they have chosen
the opposition... maybe they were mistaken.

"For almost 54 years BN has always provided allocations for the needy... and
this is taken into consideration by the rakyat.

"During elections, the rakyat will think of which government has prioritised
the wants of the rakyat and this government is none other than BN," he said
to applause from about 500 people at a school hall in the Lembah Jaya state
constituency.
[...]
____

By-elections have cost RM11.2m in total, says minister
http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/mobile/malaysia/article/by-elections-have
-cost-rm11.2m-in-total-says-minister/

By-elections will stay, says Nazri
http://www.mmail.com.my/content/67898-byelections-will-stay-says-nazri