fwiw,  I have found UPX to be a piece of crap for most applications.  Their
site shows that the idea was conceived and implemented during the days of
Pentium I computers, as all their CPU tests show that sort of historical
period.

You'd think that would be a good thing, but at the time 16 MB of ram a
pretty standard amount to have... which leads me to believe that in order to
avoid using RAM for UPX exes, they might have been uncompressed via the
filesystem.  They boast hardly any memory footprint, so I believe something
tricky is being done.

Problem is, on computers 10-15x that we have around the office, which have a
clock speed of probably 10 to 15 times that, the UPX exe's over a 100mbit
network sometimes take WAY longer to load... in the seconds, compared to
almost a fingersnap.  I'm not sure if my wild guess above is the cause for
it, but I tested this on about 5 computers at work to decide to stay away
from UPX, despite its nice reduction on our .EXE sizes...

I know this probably isn't relevant, but I thought I'd mention it anyhow, in
case someone else has noticed this.