> The Yacht Boy 400PE is a good, though not stellar, DX performer.  It can
> pull in some tough signals, but my impression is that it really wasn't
> designed with any serious DX work in mind.  Instead, it seems to have been
> designed for day-to-day listening of major broadcasters (which is exactly
> what I use it for).  It has incredibly good audio for a radio its size
> (**much** better than the Sony 7600GR), and two well-chosen filters.  The
> Yacht Boy is weaker than the 7600GR when it comes to sensitivity.  I use
my
> 7600GR to listen to Kol Israel, something I could never do with the
> Grundig.  The lack of a sync detector is a big minus, too, for DX'ing.

Virtually all of my serious DX is domestic MW, and so far the Yacht Boy
(what do they call it in German? "der Bootknabe"?) is an adequate performer,
though it still won't beat my 25 year old Pansaonic RF-2200.  I will also
use it to listen to SW broadcasters (and I did hear Kol Isreal on it,
earlier this evening).  I don't bother much with the RF-2200 for SW, as it's
such a pain to tune accurately.

Like the RFB-45 which it replaces, the YB400PE will also be my travel
portable.  I don't leave home without a AM/FM/SW radio.  The RF-2200 is too
hefty for traveling.  It's only a "portable" when compared to, say, a
Collins R-390.

> Another weakness is battery life.  Frankly, the Yacht Boy is terrible in
> this regard.  >

I intend to run it on AC power as much as possible.

73

Mike Brooker
Toronto, ON