Hello to all of you !

As all of you know, I heard Spain-585 last night. I was literally in a state of
shock, almost crying of joy. Into the logs:

Report from Bogdan Chiochiu
4190 Edward Higgins
Pierrefonds (Montreal's West Island), QC
Sanyo MCD-S830 w/ internal ferrite bar antenna
Sangean CST-818 barefoot

Trans-Atlantic DX (times in UTC)

585 SPAIN, "Radio Naciónal de España", Madrid OCT 2 0210 - Faded in w/ music
(sounded like a female SS AC vocal but too poor to be sure) to 0212 when I hear
man in SS (improoved in strenght during his speach) and "Radio Naciónal de
España" mention ! + OCT 2 0336 - "almost huge" (at least pretty fair audio,
carrer was stronger, I believe) now w/ great female trop. vocal, then woman
talking and saying "lo mejor, lo mejor..." (it was indeed among the best
Spanish tunes I heard recently) as well as "Vamos (?) como viajo, no, oh,
(laughing) ... Mal aconstumbrado hace siempre nuestro programa" + OCT 2 0359
easily readable on headphones w/ time pips, news jingle then man talk "Radio
Naciónal de España buletin informativo" and "Buenos Días..." the rest of the
newscast (in fact all of it !) was lost to a somewhat minor 580 / 590 splatter.
+ OCT  2 0457 - Extremely poor but readable on my good ears on the headphones
with Celine Dion's Titanic them "My Heart Will Go On" followed by the same
stuff as at 0400, but the "Radio Naciónal de España" ID was barely readable way
down in the noises. Not heard again. NEW and one of my first TAs ! (Chiochiu-QC)

603 unID (Spain, France and Madeira are possible) OCT 2 0330 - a high-frequency
sound that popped continuosly for almost one second out of two on the high side
of 600. Wasn't audible with the ferrite bar oriented N/S. Is it what one would
call a (3 kHz) TA het ? (Chiochiu-QC)

Pan-American DX (time in UTC)

670 CUBA, CMQ, Radio Rebelde, Arroyo Arrenas OCT 2 0014 - Tune-in to a really
beautifool Spanish dance tune (fairly similar to "Que Viva La Noche" from the
Auberge Espagnole comedy movie from a CD burned this winter) followed by
Incomplete from Backstreet Boys (not really my pice of cake) then pgm spot w/
mention of "música cubana" followed by a nice reaggeton tune (since it's Cuban,
it might have been Cubanito 2002 wich planned to lance a new album soon as well
as having an European tour - gira -; reaggeton is huge there with Daddy
Yankee's Gasolina and Al. Sanz/Shakira's La Tortura on top of Romanian charts -
I per-
sonnally wish them luck !). All this music was heard until 0030, when they
carried old-fashionned jingle w/ man over it saying
"Rebelde, La Havana - emisora de la revolución" followed by baseball game with
Sancti Spiritus versus another team. Two of the
scores were 34-14 and 38-14. The signal was very good and stable, usually way
often residual WSCR (one 1 occasion when the back of the radio faced E/W I
could get remains of nulled Rebelde way under this Chicago 50 kW blowtorche),
with some minor to moderate WFAN-660 and CINF-690 QRM, but on some occasions
residual WSCR-670 overpowered it strongly (this leaded to the log of Madrid) //
5025 heard on the Sangean CST-818 with the random wire was huge. The only Latin
American that was "really" audible; RVC-530 was very poor with Spanish
preaching, just slightly stronger than weak residual CIAO - actually RNE-585
was stronger than Caicos-530 ! (Chiochiu-QC)

Domestic DX (times in EDT)

580 CKY Winnipeg, MB OCT 1 2207-2208 - Tentatively heard with oldies over
co-channel QRM while looking for Spain + OCT 1 2338 - Tentative with oldies
over CFRA and no sign of Spain-585 on the Sangean barefoot. Also heard on
Friday night. WTAG being nulled, there is just CFRA in the way but they drop
power at night from 50 to 10 kW so aren't a really big problem. Probably the
best channel for hearing Manitoba in Montreal. (Chiochiu-QC)

1320 CKEC New Glasgow, NS OCT 1 1822 - Tentative w/ a slightly familiar
rock'n'roll tune with the lyrics "I wonder, why, why, why, why, why" w/ slight
female inclination on the "why,..." despite being interprated by a male singer
followed by a really boring happy R&R one. Then after the second tune, ID was
apprently given but it was buried by others so couldn't understand, but during
such great high-latitude conditions this one dominates on early evenings before
others like CJMR takes over. No sign of Norway or Spain on adjacent 1314.
(Chiochiu-QC)

Here is how my TA reception happened: I became boored with Rebelde-670 and
constating it was occasionally QRMed by a strong residual WSCR, I was thinked
that if a residual domestic like WSCR was QRMing a strong Cuban despite the
nulls of the ferrite bar antenna of my Sanyo are sharps, then conditions had to
be extremely non-auroral for WSCR to be extremely strong as it was and good for
high-latitude paths. Good high-latitude paths means good TA condx, so I decided
to check out 585, tuned right in the middle of the distance beetwen the 580 and
590 kHz domestics and heard only slight splash for a minute or two, then a
pretty nice female AC vocal surfaced at a poor level followed by man in SS and
Radio Nacional de España mention at 0213. It was unbelievable, but true. I have
heard tentatively France-1494 (I don't know yet if I should count it or not)
last season with two words making the trip clearly "parler" and "Parlement",
but this was my first ID out of a TA station and my best reception on my own. I
didn't even heard TA IDs when in New Bruntswick in the 2003's summer and then I
had to press my hand over the radio to have any, more or less interesting
audio, of the assumed Virgin-1215, COPE-1296 and a very few others (the human
body is apparently conductive to electromagnetic signals).

Some comments about the RNE programming: first of all the music was quite
eclectic, it ranged from Celine Dion just before absolute fade-out, Lonestar,
Frank Sinatra to apparent Julio Iglesias, probable SS Adult Contemporary vocal
and the nice Spanish tropical tune heard at 0336 to tropical; the Spanish tunes
heard were really nice, the other ones not really my pice of a cake. I
especially loved the woman's tropical one and hope to find out the performer. I
only heard "Radio Naciónal de España" IDs and never heard any "Radio Uno" ones.
Is this typical of RNE1 or the "Radio Uno" IDs were during fade-outs or buried
in QRM ?

When talking about the reception it's self, totally amazing ! It was in and out
(I think more often in than out) until 0500 UTC; the fadings seemed more abrupt
that most of my Latin American DX but this is hardly surprising at almost 5560
kilometers (I think).

It was strange however that after the news announcements at 0400 UTC in 2
seconds just as the announcer was saying "Buenos Días..." the signal dropped to
fairly slight adjacent QRM. It reminds me of YVLX-570 wich popped up in the
mess for a few seconds with the dorbells and "Noti-Rumbos Informa..."
everything else after Informa was completely lost, this was back in March 2001.
This was probably my best catche, since it is way much less commonly reported
than Spain-585. The Nicaraguan on 600 I heard in // with it's web-cast isn't
far behind. At 3870 kilometers with 10 kW, it certainly beats RNE 585 at 5560
kilometers but at a fat 600 kW. But, let's not diminush this astonishing catche
!

After dark, I will try to hear Morocco-594 since it's 4 kHz from 590 kHz. Since
there is nothing extremely huge on 600, I may also try for RNE5 in Sevilla with
100 kW (or France, Madeira is also remotely possible, but very unlikely) as
there was definitively a het on the high-side of 600 kHz but still a relatively
fair amount of 600 QRM and not strong enough for audio. 3 kHz is probably the
big limit for my not extremely selectif Sanyo (even then it would be tough for
a TA new-commer like me); stations 2 kHz away like Morocco-612, Ireland-612 and
Canaries-621 or Saudi-1521 would definitively be extremely unlikely unless they
are strong enough to het the domestics and this means an East Coast trip to
some point. Obviously, I won't be able to DX late like last night, but I hope
I'll manage to get at least one TA station, even if a relog of Spain-585.

Steve Whitt of the UK via MWDX (I heard of him before as being in the Medium
Wave Circle) suggested me several TA frequencies. WPHT-1210 is usually very
strong not really nullable (even the relatively commun YV, Radio Anzoátegui is
really hard - never actually IDed them - maybe during a good Aurora), but
around dusk I may be able to get some Virgin Radio dusk before WPHT splash is
too intense if conditions are good enough. The same goes for 1134. Most of the
other channels are relatively fine especially Holland-675 (though they lowered
their power recently, so not very likely), 1035 sounds interesting as local
CJMS is not that easy to null in the part of the house the radio is now, but I
may try again. There is a part of the bedroom where nulling local CJMS-1040 is
easier, but then there are more noises and for weak long-haul signals like
Portugal-1035 computer generated noises aren't ideal. Beetwen 800 and 1000 kHz
my radio isn't really sensitive and selectif (I wonder why, since below 800 kHz
and above 1000 it's a really wonderfull radio), so TA reception is probably out
of question for me on those frequencies. For exemple I seem to get
Venezuela-910 regularly on the car-radio, but it is not easy at home despite a
fairly clear channel (especially with WABI nulled) on my Sanyo. 1575 is
definitively impossible, super-pest CFAV does away with that for me. I have
it's splatter down to about 1500 and short-skip WPTR in Albany is now
relatively tough at my location.

I will enjoy LW TAs too, soon. I'm sure when Spain-585 and the 603 signal were
making in there was some activity on LW, unfortunately I don't have anymore as
of yet a good radio for LW DX'ing, but I will !

I hope I don't boore anyone with such long messages, but I love explaining my
thoughts about DX'ing, targets. I also find interesting to say my comments
about the music heard on various DX signals, as I'm not a computer who just
report basic details, but a human.

I wish everyone a good night of DX !
Be the good DX stuff with you !
Bogdan Chiochiu