In all the discussion of DTV converter boxes, I haven`t seen any mention of
this, possibly because no one else is interested both in direct OTA DTV
reception, AND shortwave DXing/listening??

They (at least the Zenith DTT900/901 that I have), put out a continuous whine
on many shortwave bands. This is when they are supposedly OFF, in the `red-eye`
position; when they are blue-eyed, ON, they put out different hash on the SW
bands, which is as bad if not worse. The only solution is to unplug them when
not in use, since like so much electronic gear today, they are always ON or
standing-by, even when supposedly OFF.

This became worse when I installed a second unit on a TV set closer to my SW
rigs, but even when it is unplugged, the first one in another housepart still
QRMs SW. Fortunately, the Zeniths retain their programming even when unplugged
for several days, tho not sure if indefinitely. For example, Jan 31 around 1600
UT I noted the peaks of the whines showed approx. every 72 kHz between 15160
and 15660 kHz. All progress must be accompanied by regress (Glenn Hauser, OK,
DX LISTENING DIGEST)