Warm greetings to all of you !

I found some time the past night after the movie theater to DX, to casual DX
the longwave broadcast band... A surprise, although not a good one, was hearing
Morocco on 171 weakly with a huge jammer-like noise. Unfortunatly, when I
nulled that noise, Morocco was weaker... They used to beam NNW from Nador
during the last couple of months (years ?), but they may have changed their
pattern since... Also something ver choppy on 180, QRMed by Europe 1 (see
below)...

I didn't had the opportunity to take my mother's car yet this week-end, but I
assume I may had the chance to log WICC 600 in C-QUAM STEREO as they were in
strong around 6PM EDT (5PM EST) on the Sanyo MCD-S830 barefoot...

But the most surprising thing was a change in my equipment, albeit a small
one... Instead pf using my Sangean with its low-Fi sound (as compared to my
trusty Sanyo MCD-S830), I used instead the Grundig G5 ultralight... Boy, does
it sound Hi-Fi ! I had trouble sleeping with RUV's classic rock and cosmic rock
music before, but now as it sounds much better, I went to bed around 0215 AM
local and felt asleep quickly... As far as the sensitivity goes, it is just
about the same or perphaps slightly BETTER than the Sangean (so a good point)
although it is hard to rate... I should take it at the weekday's
Hochelaga-Maisonneuve / MTL-EST house, even though like most ULR I can't
aircheck my listening pleasures, but who cares, as I'll bring my Sanyo MCD-S830
in the cases condx switch to heavy auroral or at least semi-auroral, enough for
some pleasant Radio Coro 780 airchecking... We don't have CDs in my mom's car,
so taping foreign tropical signals is the only way to bring into the car
SPANISH MUSIC... That being said, as far as my airechecks querry is concerned,
see below my logs my biggest aircheck goal !

Well... Into the logs:

Trans-Atlantic DX

153 unID NOV 1 0603 - something here with little or no audio. Very choppy sound
! (Chiochiu*Pierrefonds-QC / Chiochiu-ULR)

162 FRANCE   France Inter, Allouis NOV 1 0606 - French hard rock tune noted in
passing... They seldom play music on Sunday mornings, as they carry a
litterature show. They stop the litterature show maybe twice during the hour
for playing a wee bit of music. Very strong at this time, but consistently
weaker than Europe 1. The hill right on the France / Germany border probably
helps with Europe 1 better than the regular ground around the Allouis (Bourges
area) transmitter site. (Chiochiu*Pierrefonds-QC / Chiochiu-ULR)

171 MOROCCO   Médi Un, Nador NOV 1 0610 - news, very poor and difficult with
jammer-like behind... Unfortunatly, it was almost impossible to null the jammer
without also reducing dramatically the strength of Radio Méditerrannée
Internationale. SIO 211. (Chiochiu*Pierrefonds-QC / Chiochiu-ULR)

180 unID NOV 1 0354 - The unID of the night ! unID carrying some barely
discernable rock music getting through with a very dirty and choppy sound and
some het from 183 kHz... Either crossmodulation from something on mediumwave or
shortwave or maybe (who knows ?) TTT out of Polati, Turkey ? I know Turkey is
occasionally making the TA trip inland, as Sylvain Naud heard them... The PK's
Shielded Magnetic longwave loop is supposed to get rid of all the
crossmodulation and false QRM problems, so I have high hopes for Turkey-180 !
(Chiochiu*Pierrefonds-QC / Chiochiu-logs)

183 GERMANY   Europe 1, Felsberg NOV 1 0356 - with a health magazine. Among the
items, was a recent increase of 55% in the H1N1 swine flu cases reported...
Very huge, booming in... After the 0400 GMT news, they went into the latest
French Top 50 show ! (Chiochiu*Pierrefonds-QC / Chiochiu-ULR)

189 ICELAND   Rikisútvarpid, Gufuskalar NOV 1 0615 - playing a smooth blend of
slow tempo and mid tempo classic rock, cosmic rock, pop-rock and prog-rock
tracks, mostly in English, maybe a tiny bit in Icelandic... I felt asleep
listening to them. At 5AM EDT (4AM EST) / 0900 GMT (UTC) they were still going
strong with Icelandic chatter, as my mother told me... With the Grundig G5 in
AM Wide mode, one could hear some splatter out of Europe 1. Wow ! I never
imagined two TAs could cause hets and splatter to each other !
(Chiochiu*Pierrefonds-QC / Chiochiu-ULR)

252 unID NOV 1 0352 - woman talk... Unreadable, as was heavily QRMed by beacons
on nearby frequencies. (Chiochiu*Pierrefonds-QC / Chiochiu-ULR)

Additionnal comments:

The friend with whom I was at the movie theater was DXing with me for a short
while... He was surprised at how many (at least three) LW signals I was
logging, even though in his country (Congo -> Kinshasa) there are no longwave
broadcasters, only shortwave and ultrashortwave (FM). I'm surprised too to some
extent that it's easier to DX longwave from the Montreal area than from my
native Romania... Down there, I couldn't get a single Arabic station on LW...
Here, I can (at least) get Medi Un, even though they are very poor, but, at
least, they are there... Of course, all the LW signals received here had to
cross the Atlantic to arrive at my radio shack, so they all have a hard-core DX
connotation to them !

That being said, with the current slowly, but steadily increasing solar
activity, I should be on the look out for some promising semi-auroral
conditions during the upcoming weeks with enhanced Pan-American MW / SW
activity and highly disturbed Trans-Atlantic LW / MW / SW activity... Any
chance we will have a stormy November ?

Back to social DXing...the last night I chatted with the ever-friendly
Venezuelan guys for the first time in months !!! I was really astonished at the
Jorge García's highly impressing World Music culture... He knews SARMALELE RECI
better than I, which is a cult group from my own country (even though I'm
half-French half-Romanian). I sometimes wonder how this Venezuelan guys manages
to DX... Its hard to DX with the computer on and the radio on the next corner !
I will try to comeback to them, as soon as I finish this report and I find some
time for breakfast.

Last, but not least, does anyone remember AVENTURE FM here ? I would like to
listen to some of their shows on tape, CD or MP3... They were run by the French
army between 1987 and 1989 ! The frequencies ?

Paris 105.9
Chambéry 105.9
Grenobles 105.8
Lyon 95.7
Reims 90.5
Bordeaux 88.4 (for a couple of days before MaXXimum started)

As a reminder for the MaXXimaniaques, while Aventure FM had a very tiny
audience, MaXXimum was extremely popular within the youngsters who were fans of
Dance Music, but didn't play too many French songs. The French lobby put
pressure upon the CSA (Conseil Supérieur de l'Audiovisuel) in order that RTL
who purchassed Aventure from the French army could sell MaXXimum... They sold
MaXXimum to Prisa a Spanish group who put M40 insteead of MaXXimum on 88.4 and
105.9. The other frequencies were already lost... MaXXimum didn't started in
Paris, but in Rhônes-Alpes, Reims, Bordeaux and Perpignan (where Aventure FM
broadcasted for about a month between September of 1989 and the 23rd of October
of 1989)... That being said, while it is very hard to find unscoped airchecks,
I would exchange any aircheck for an Aventure FM one !

This report is brought to you by Bogdan Alexandru Chiochiu, DXing from
Pierrefonds (Montreal's West Island), QC using the Grundig G5 ultralight along
with the battery-powered PK's Shielded Magnetic longwave loop

May the good DX be with you !
Bogdan Chiochiu