Killing CBC shortwave service was shortsighted 0
 By Warren Kinsella ,QMI Agency
First posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 08:00 PM EDT
  www.torontosun.com/2012/06/28/killing-cbc-shortwave-service-was-shortsighted

Change text size for the story Print this story Report an error

Topics
CBC Money Drain
The chipping away at Canada continues apace.

Radio Canada International´s shortwave service was, quite literally, Canada´s
voice to the
world for nearly 70 years - through wars, through triumphs and disasters,
through it all. It
has been part of our history. And, now, it´s gone.

The shortwave service started in 1942. Prime Minister Mackenzie King said it
would help to
keep our soldiers connected with what was going on back home. For our armed
forces
members in uniform - then and now - RCI became an easy way to stay in touch
with
Canada and Canadians.

Similarly, the service became a means by which we could subtly promote
democracy, and
the Canadian way of life, in far-flung corners of the world. In places like
China, Russia and
North Korea - where the Internet can be censored, but shortwave can´t be - RCI
was
heard by many. In post-Communist Eastern Europe, shortwave radio receivers are
still the
way in which many receive news from the outside world.

I know this from experience. When I was an election observer in Bosnia in 1996,
billeted with
a Serbian family, I was glued to my tiny shortwave radio at night. I´d listen
to the Stanley Cup
playoffs, and the news from back home, and I was always pretty grateful that
RCI existed.

Our allies - the U.S., Britain, Germany, France and Australia - have all
expanded their
national shortwave service.

In Canada, meanwhile, we´ve killed it.

The Harper regime, which has taken a chainsaw to the CBC in recent months, is
ultimately to
blame for this short-sighted decision. They will say that government needs to
tighten its belt,
and they´re mostly right about that.

But getting rid of RCI´s shortwave service is pennywise and pound foolish. In
all, keeping RCI
on-air would have cost about 35 cents a year, per Canadian. In comparative
terms, it´s as
much as it cost taxpayers to rent a couple of panda bears from China for zoos
in Toronto and
Calgary. Or, it´s a fifth of the cost of building gazebos in Tony Clement´s
riding and fake lakes
for the G8/G20 summit.

Meanwhile, KPMG did a study on RCI, and found it was the most efficient - that
is, cost-
effective - broadcaster of its type in the world.

Why should you care? Does it matter? It matters. Billion-dollar fighter jets
and super jails,
before a pittance for a radio station that promoted democracy and decency
around the world?
The idiots who came up with this outrageous decision should all be fired.

Perhaps you didn´t notice the death of RCI because you have access to lots of
media here in
Canada, or because you don´t ever need to tune in to shortwave radio. But to
people around
the world - to our men and women in uniform - the death of RCI won´t go
unnoticed.

In small but undeniable ways, the Conservatives are chipping away at the very
notion of what
Canada was, and what it is. Killing off RCI was thoughtless, it was
ideological, and it was
done without any appreciation of our history or our shared culture. In a very
real way, the
Harper Cons are denuding us of the things that make us uniquely Canadian.

To ourselves, and to the world.

Standard rig : ICOM R75 / 2x16 V / m@h40 heads Sennheiser
Please read and distribute this 15 year research article
http://tinyurl.com/5vzg7e
Please read my article on SINPO at http://tinyurl.com/yt7qjd
http://zlgr.multiply.com (radio monitoring site plus audio clips ) MAIN SITE
http://www.delicious.com/gr_greek1/@zach (all mypages !!)
Zacharias Liangas , Thessaloniki Greece
greekdx @ otenet dot gr  ---
Pesawat penerima: ICOM R75 , Lowe HF150 , Degen 1102,1103,108,
Tecsun PL200/550/600, Chibo c300/c979, Yupi 7000
Antenna: 16m hor, 2x16 m V invert, 1m australian loop