** CUBA [and non]. 9565, Oct 14 at 0030, post-Martí jamming noise now mixed
with beeps here too. This time there are not strings, but single beeps at
frequent but irregular intervals, sometimes overlapping. Pitches change from
one to the next; vs JBA carrier, presumably Brasil. At 0035 I listen with BFO
off, and still hear tones of various pitches, so the carriers are not pure CW,
but MCW, with modulation upon them.

9955, Oct 14 at 0038, noise jamming against WRMI is still running, despite back
to English from R. Prague after the R. Libertad hour 23-24. The Commie Cubans
must hold a grudge against the now free Czechs. And mixed with it, some random
beeping here too. Another possible explanation --- beeps are place-holders for
otherwise idling jammers.

BTW, this page has Radio Libertad info right at the top
including: ``Horarios de Transmisión: Diariamente 8:00-9:00 am hora de Miami en
9955 kHz`` besides evenings. But this is either very new or very old, likely
the latter, as 12-13 UT has been occupied for a long time by R. Prague in
English, Eslovaquia en español; as still on the skedgrid, variations on
weekends (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ETHIOPIA [and non]. 7175-7185-7195, Oct 14 at 0353, wideband DRM-style
jamming, implying that VOBMEritrea may have shifted from 7175 to 7185, altho no
AM carrier can be detected anywhere amid this. Thorsten Hallmann confirms that
VOBME was on 7185 the evening of Oct 13. He says jamming usually ends about
1700. I suspect same jammitters are more needed against VOA by 1730.

7140-7145-7150, Oct 14 at 0355, DRM-style noise jamming against the other
VOBME, and here I can detect an AM carrier amid, at 7145.036 instead of 7145.6v
where it had been.

Wolfgang Büschel explains, ``the Ethiopians bought exactly 6 x BBEF Beijing
Made in China units some 8 years ago, which may possibly switch to DRM digital
mode transmission too`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MADAGASCAR. 9600, Oct 14 at 0034 check, still no signal at all from
scheduled MWV broadcast of KNLS English programming to Asia. Have not heard
this for many weeks.

9665, Oct 14 at 0100+, no signal now either from the MWV repeat of KNLS
English, just the Brasilian slightly off-frequency with Mexican music. When MWV
was on, we could at least get a het or tell there was a second carrier.

9480, Oct 14 at 0422 check, zero signal from African Pathways Radio via MWV,
another long-AWOL transmission, while World Christian Broadcasting says nothing
about the long silence, pretending the station is still on the air rather than
a fantasy. Possibly they have quite legit reasons, such as severe technical or
financial problems, but won`t level with their supporters, few of whom actually
have a SW radio. The website promotes how much web traffic they are getting, so
who needs SW? Maybe the language programs continue available there.

Since these are non-logs rather than logs, despite their significance, some
editors will delete them! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 580, UT Fri Oct 14 at 0403, old-time-radio show in Spanish, mentions
``Chucho el Rojo`` (neither name certain!). Loops SSW so presumed XEMU Piedras
Negras, Coahuila, rather than XEFI Chihuahua which I recently logged from the
SW; WIBW Topeka in a fade, then up a bit, but diminished by auroral?
Behindthename.com says Chucho is a diminutive for Jesús (but never applied to
Cristo, I suspect --- ``Chuchocristo``?).

Then I go to XEMU website, and find a sparse programación page,
fortunately including this!

``De 3:00 a 3:30 de la tarde y también a la [sic] 11:00 de la noche de lunes a
viernes. Radio Novela Chucho el Roto``

Roto means broken, rather than Rojo = red. Searching on full name, and then
adding novela, Wikipedia provides:

``Chucho el Roto (1858–1885) was a Mexican bandit active in the late 19th
century, whose life story has been the basis of number of books, plays and
other media since before his death. His real name was Jesús Arriaga...``

``La XEW realizó una versión de Chucho el Roto como la última gran radionovela
transmitida por la estación radial, con más de 3,200 capítulos a lo largo de
once años, tuvo gran acogida en México, Centroamérica y Sudamérica. Debido a
este éxito, se produjo una telenovela que se transmitía junto con la
radionovela; posteriormente se adaptó una tetralogía cinematográfica que se fue
estrenando en paralelo a la transmisión de la radionovela.``

3,200 episodes over exactly 11 years = 291 per year, more than one a day, if 5
per week, which would need 261. So now, I, and perhaps you, have gained a
learning experience from this brief DX log (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING

** MEXICO. 700, Oct 14 at 0412, Spanish mentions ``Radio Centro``, with WLW
nulled. There is such a station/network in Mexico, but IRCA, WRTH, Cantú
listings don`t draw any connexion on 700. Could it be from somewhere else in
Latin America? No such listings in WRTH. A little further researching shows
it`s only XEDKR, Guadalajara, 10000/150 watts [yeah, sure] relaying Radio Red
(1110 DF), but that is part of the Grupo Radio Centro (flagship XEQR 1030).
Once again we wish at least the IRCA Mexican Log would display Grupo
affiliations with each entry, if any (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** PERU. 5980, Oct 14 at 0058, R. Chaski at S6, getting a bit of a boost from
auroral conditions, making some music modulation audible (presumably
originating as usual from Red Radio Integridad); until autocutoff at
0101:26.5*, which is 19.5 seconds later than last monitorage three nights
earlier, Oct 11 until 0100:07*, or slippage averaging 6.5 seconds later per

** U S A. 13564, Oct 14 at 1445, JBA CW beacon ID as GNK. Then I find two more
which are even weaker, but repeated IDs can eventually be copied vs the ISM
hash and CODAR, frequencies approx.:

13565, Oct 14 at 1446, K6FRC, HIFER beacon CW ID, almost inaudible.

13558, Oct 14 at 1447, MTI, HIFER beacon CW ID, very slow compared to the
others. (I`m no good at judging words-per-minute; and is MTI a ``word``?)

I`ve frequently scanned the 13550-13570 ISM band almost every day, but haven`t
heard any HIFERs for many months. As in DXLD 16-09, both K6FRC from California
and MTI from Stone Mountain GA were last logged March 1 at almost exactly the
same times. GNK from Madison WI last logged August 15 at 1355, as in DXLD
16-33, I wonder if the recent geomagnetic disturbance led to improved
post-reception? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Kim Andrew Elliott tells the DXLD yg at 1615 UT October 14: ``I just
found out that today is the last day of the special VOA Kreyòl (Creole)
shortwave transmissions for Haiti. 2000-2030 UT on 11720 and  15220 kHz, via
Greenville. Kim`` (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WORLD OF RADIO 1847 monitoring: confirmed Thursday October 13 at 2330
on WBCQ 9330.040v-CUSB, fair. Next:
Fri 2330   WBCQ 9330v-CUSB to WSW
Sat 0630   HLR  6190-CUSB to SW
Sat 0800   Unique Radio NSW 3210 ND
Sat 1300   Unique Radio NSW 3210 ND
Sat 1430   HLR  7265-CUSB to SW
Sat 1930v  WA0RCR 1860-AM ND
Sat 2230   WBCQ 9330v-CUSB to WSW
Sun 0310v  WA0RCR 1860-AM ND
Sun 0830   Unique Radio NSW 3210 ND
Sun 2330   WBCQ 9330v-CUSB to WSW
Mon 0030   WRMI 7730 to WNW
Mon 0300v  WBCQ 5130v Area 51 to WSW
Mon 0330   WRMI 9955 to SSE
Mon 2330   WBCQ 9330v-CUSB to WSW
Tue 1100   WRMI 9955 to SSE
Tue 2130   WRMI 15770 to NE
Tue 2330   WBCQ 9330v-CUSB to WSW
Wed 1315.5 WRMI 9955 to SSE
Wed 2100   WBCQ 7490v to WSW
Wed 2330   WBCQ 9330v-CUSB to WSW

** U S A. 7730, Oct 14 at 0044, WRMI with gospel huxter talking about cults,
but chopped off for classic ``WNYW-style`` ID, 0045 Chinese vocal music, later
soft jazz, 0056 beach tune = World Music.

Checked at 1555 UT Oct 14, the WRMI skedgrid has now removed ``WM`` from the
00-01 UT hour on 7730, which had been Tue-Fri. Now there are blanx, including
today UT Friday, but new other stuff has been inserted on UT Thursday. Anyhow,
this hour is room for expansion, the World Music always subject to replacement
by paid programming or other filler (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 7490.06, Oct 14 at 0047, WBCQ is VP at only S6; and so is 9330+ CUSB.
This time, can be attributed to auroral conditions attenuating signals from
northern Maine (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 9311.2v-USB, Oct 14 at 1438, weak colloquial Spanish 2-way, the
communicators not on exactly the same frequency. Also heard a sesquihour
earlier as I tuned by (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 9382.70-LSB, Oct 14 at 0028, 2-way in colloquial Spanish
INTRUDERS, one with engine noise; vs het from 9380.0 presumed India (Glenn

This report despatched at 1731 UT October 14
Hard-Core-DX mailing list

published by Michael Stutz at