We've been Iraq-ing 'round the clock so much around here that we're going to shake
things up a bit...We'll lead with Alan Dershowitz and Gloria Allred discussing that
case in Florida of the teenage kids accused of killing their father with a baseball
bat...

We'll talk to the lead lawyer who's spearheading this in C: A $1 trillion lawsuit,
filed here yesterday, claims Iraq knew that Osama bin Laden was targeting New York
prior to Sept. 11 - and that Saddam Hussein encouraged terrorists became he wanted
revenge for losing the Gulf War. (NY Post)
http://www.nypost.com/news/worldnews/56401.htm

Our debate block we'll focus on the American Muslim community and their response to
radical islam...How's it coming along?  Is it enough?  Sarah Eltantawi of the Muslim
Public Affairs Council will join us... Here's a backgrounder
http://www.newyorkobserver.com/pages/observer.asp

In the Buzz we'll do Luntz and Howard on the new Pew poll and the free ride that's
ending for political kin...

I see Jensen mailing around the pics of Charlton Heston, John Edwards, Dee Dee Myers &
Arnold Schwarzenegger for the Real Deal OTS (over the shoulders)...

Howard's latest: No More Free Ride In U.S. Politics...More candidates find that being
daddy's boy isn't enough http://www.msnbc.com/news/803407.asp

Pew Poll: http://people-press.org/reports/display.php3?PageID=636

Lloyd Grove, who returned from a much deserved vacation this week (The Briefing takes
no umbrage at vacations, by the way), delivers a couple of sugar plums today...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A37870-2002Sep4.html

"I saw him at a recent fundraiser, and he's a babe. He's got that Ronald Reagan charm.
I think he's hot. I respect his wife, but if he wasn't married I'd be putting on my
cowboy boots and coming around."

-- Roseanne, revealing her "huge crush on President Bush" to People magazine

And for all you Les Kinsolving watchers, you'll like this exchange from Ari's briefing
yesterday...

Kinsolving-- I'm wondering if you are aware of the web site that has been set up in
your honor, with an excellent photograph --

MR. FLEISCHER: Les, I remind you that sometimes these briefings are televised.

Kinsolving: no, no, no -- eighteen women who note that they "adore White House Press
Secretary Ari Fleischer." And their web site, of which I have evidence here in my
hand, is labeled, and I quote, "Fleischer's Floozies." My question is, surely you
would not be so unchivalrous as to dismiss these adoring ladies with either a "no
comment" or an evasion, would you, Ari?

MR. FLEISCHER: All I can tell you, Les, is if it's a web site for 18 women, you should
not be on it. (Laughter.)

--end transcript--

Editors note: If you don't know Les Kinsolving or Howard Mortman, you're not a
Washington insider

Dominic Bellone wrote, compiled and edited The Briefing from deep inside the Beltway

You'll no doubt fondly recall this day in 1905 when Representatives of Russian and
Japan signed the Treaty of Portsmouth ending war between those two countries.
(Historydaily.com)

A 13-year-old boy took the witness stand for the second time in as many weeks to deny
that he and his older brother killed their father with an aluminum baseball bat. (AP)
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/florida/sfl-ffather05sep05.story?coll=sfla%2Dnews%2Dflorida

The Senate Judiciary Committee, in a strict party-line vote, rejected Texas Supreme
Court Justice Priscilla Owen for a federal appeals court seat Thursday, handing
President Bush a second major defeat in his efforts to put more conservatives in key
judgeships.  (AP)
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=512&ncid=703&e=1&u=/ap/20020905/ap_on_go_co/senate_judges

President Hamid Karzai and a powerful regional governor survived an assassination
attempt Thursday by an Afghan security guard who fired on their convoy. The attack
came shortly after a large explosion in the capital that killed at least 10 people and
which police blamed on al-Qaida.  (MSNBC) http://msnbc.com/news/803799.asp

Not a pretty day in Kandahar
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/020905/168/26z7h.html

Call it President Bush's "House-keeping" road trip. Bush is dropping in on two of the
nation's hottest congressional races Thursday, looking to protect the slim Republican
edge in the House with fund raisers in Kentucky and Indiana. (AP)
http://www.indystar.com/data/wire/out/0905ap_m842889009.html

Bush launches anti-Iraq campaign...Announcing the beginning of an "open dialogue" on
the alleged threat posed by Saddam Hussein, President Bush vowed Wednesday to seek
congressional approval before taking action against Iraq.
http://www.msnbc.com/modules/exports/ct_infobeat.asp?/news/802167.asp

Bush verbate: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/transcripts/bushiraq.html

WashPost: Iraq's 'drones of death'...Intelligence officials and U.N. documents suggest
that Iraq has worked with mixed success to compile a variety of novel machines for
spraying pathogens and poisons from aircraft.
http://www.msnbc.com/modules/exports/ct_infobeat.asp?/news/803730.asp

Congressional leaders are preparing for a lengthy and possibly divisive debate over
going to war against Iraq, with near unanimous agreement the vote will come before the
Nov. 5 elections. (Roll Call)
http://www.rollcall.com/pages/news/00/2002/09/news0905a.html

Milbank: Ashcroft Appointments Assailed...Domestic Violence Law's Foes Tapped for
Oversight Panel http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A37952-2002Sep4.html

"Your place is in prison and nowhere else. Otherwise your home is outside the
country," Mugabe said of the two politicians upon his return to Zimbabwe from
neighboring South Africa where he attended the World Summit on Sustainable
Development. (AP)
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020905/ap_on_re_af/zimbabwe_unrest_4

Tax Cut Plan Mired in Debate...Sharp divisions at the White House have delayed the
release of a package of tax cuts aimed at boosting the stock market, and new questions
over its political wisdom may scuttle the plan altogether, congressional and White
House officials said. (The Washington Post)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A37959-2002Sep4.html?referer=email

Led by former Attorney General Ramsey Clark, anti-war activists said they would march
on Washington next month in opposition to an attack on Iraq. (AP)
http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/epaper/editions/today/news_d3672f83610c6102000e.html

Augusta not feminists' 'biggest issue'...Martha Burk believes the white-hot attention
on the membership policies of the Augusta National Golf Club, home of the Masters
Tournament, is too much. (The Washington Times)
http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20020905-9191347.htm

Vice President Dick Cheney will preside over tomorrow's mock congressional session at
New York City's Federal Hall, amid an unrivaled scramble of security precautions (NY
Post) http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/56374.htm

Al Gore plans campaign trips to Iowa and New Hampshire before the November elections
as he steps up his political travels and fund raising, aides say. They acknowledge his
political action committee delayed paying staffers early this summer (Associated
Press) http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/bw-elect/2002/sep/04/090406959.html

Edwards may dump funds into ads before Nov. 5...White House-seeking senator must spend
soft money before election (Raleigh News & Observer)
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/politics/4005126.htm

Things ain't pretty in California...Poll: Davis, Simon both losing support among
voters (San Jose Mercury News) http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/4004426.htm

NY Gov...Carl: You're Next, George: http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/56394.htm

Hallow: Rep. John E. Sununu, with only six days to go before the New Hampshire
Republican primary, has pulled ahead of Sen. Robert C. Smith by 22 percentage points
in a new, independent poll.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20020905-91267140.htm

As the Torch Burns...Embattled Sen. Robert Torricelli (D-N.J.), whose poll numbers are
sinking in the wake of a severe admonishment from the Senate Ethics Committee for
accepting improper gifts, nearly purchased a $450,000 yacht in January. (Ed Henry)
http://www.rollcall.com/pages/columns/hoh/

Beckel reax in light of his sex scandal: "I used to be an auto mechanic when I was in
high school," he said. "So I could probably go back and do that. I don't guess there's
going to be much of a future in politics. At my age, that may not be a bad thing." (Ed
Henry)

Page Six: Primary campaign quitter Andrew Cuomo held a consolation booze-up Tuesday
night. Cuomo, who quit the gubernatorial race after Bill Clinton told him it was
hopeless, partied with about 40 pals at Pop on Fourth Avenue.
http://www.pagesix.com/pagesix/21835.htm

More Page Six: While in Scotland flogging her soppy 9/11 play "The Guys," Susan
Sarandon has taken up the cause of a convicted arsonist on death row.
http://www.pagesix.com/pagesix/21832.htm

Heston: I'll Take Illness in Stride (AP)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A37422-2002Sep4.html

Kurtz: Can Bush win by losing? To all outward appearances, President Bush has been
wearing out Air Force One in an attempt to keep the House in Republican hands and take
back the Senate. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A39392-2002Sep5.html

Harper on Media: Old guard takes up cudgels against media image of aged...Geezer
revenge may be at hand: The negative image of older Americans in print and broadcast
media has been taken to task on Capitol Hill.
http://washingtontimes.com/national/20020905-40398640.htm

Robert De Niro is among the scores of people whom city officials have asked to read
the names of the Sept. 11 victims during next week's tribute. (NY Post)
http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/56393.htm

Good PR primer: 'Sex' is good for NYC business...An impossibly sexy woman slinks into
a chic restaurant near Gramercy Park, tosses a martini in the face of her unfaithful
lover and strides out with a wicked smile (USA Today)
http://www.yahoo.usatoday.com/travel/vacations/destinations/2002/2002-08-30-sex-and-the-city.htm

Lizzie update: Lizzie Grubman won't have to sing about her Hamptons smash-'em-up until
she's a jailbird, a Manhattan judge ruled yesterday.
http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/56371.htm

Opinion/Editorial

Carter, or "JC" as Betsy calls him: The Troubling New Face of America
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38441-2002Sep4.html

Micah Morrison: The Iraq Connection...Was Saddam involved in Oklahoma City and the
first WTC bombing?

Lehrer: Raggedy Andy Why Cuomo dropped out.
http://slate.msn.com/default.aspx?id=2070408

Will: Can He Douse the 'Torch'?
http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/will.html

Bowyer: Deficit Attention Disorder...If you believe in Rubinomics, you lost money last
week. http://www.nationalreview.com/nrof_comment/comment-bowyer090402.asp

Novak: President's oil policy has business spooked
http://www.suntimes.com/output/novak/cst-edt-novak05.html

The Washington Times: Cuomo's curious cave...Andrew Cuomo's decision to withdraw from
the New York Democratic Party marks a fascinating new development in American
electoral politics. http://www.washingtontimes.com/op-ed/20020905-26558586.htm

Coulter: Murder for fun and prophet
http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/coulter.html

Noah: Can Your Boss Fire You for Your Political Beliefs? Part 2...A cautionary Labor
Day tale. http://slate.msn.com/default.aspx?id=2070423

A real war on terrorism...The second installment in a nine-part series in Slate by
Robert Wright on how America should fight its war on terrorism, and why the Bush
administration's plan is flawed.
http://slate.msn.com/?id=2070210&entry=2070212

Doonesbury http://www.ucomics.com/doonesbury/

Mallard Fillmore http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/mallard.asp

This email is never sent unsolicited. You have received
The Hardball Briefing Newsletter because you subscribed to it or,
someone forwarded it to you.

http://www.msnbc.com/tools/newstools/e/emailextra.asp?nfeature=19