Are you familiar with ssh x which allows you to use gui applications from
the remote machine?

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Kevin
Toppenberg
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2004 9:51 PM
To: Hardhats Sourceforge
Subject: [Hardhats-members] Linux question: remote desktop sharing

Hello all,

I have taken an offcast PC and made a linux server out
of it.  I want to do my future VistA development on
it.  Furthermore, I would like to be able to work off
of it when I come to the OpenVistA conference.

I can ssh into it and work that way, but I would like
to be able to use a NICE editor (i.e. I hate 'vi')...
so I have started thinking about setting up remote
desktop sharing.

When I have done web searches for this, it seems that
the technology is "vnc".  My redhat 9 book, however,
says that vnc transmits passwords in plaintext, and
that one would need to tunnel it through a ssh shell
for security.  Its sounding a bit complicated.

Is there an easier, but secure, way to share the
server desktop?

Also, it seems that the VNC system is sending
screenshots of the server's desktop.  But I wonder,
didn't someone mention on the list recently about
another way, i.e. the X11 system sends remote draw
commands etc rather than sending simple graphic images
of the desktop?

Thanks