You can also throw multiple video cards in unused PCI/ISA slots on your
PC, and attach a monitor to each one.  Throw in some USB keyboards and
mice, and you have a computer system that can run Gnome/KDE (or other X
window manager) for multiple concurrent users.  You will have to fiddle
/etc/X11/XF86Config to get it right, and you may need to do some
switching around to get the keyboards and mice associated with the right
monitor, but this is supposed to work quite well.  Schools in Africa
that can't afford a PC for each student apparently do this quite often
with Linux.  A typical PC has more than enough CPU, RAM and disk to
handle multiple browsers, office applications, etc.  It's only when you
get to gaming, CAD, etc. that you need to dedicate a PC to a user.

Caveat: I have not tried this myself.  However, the next time we think
we need a new PC at home, I plan to try this.

-- Bhaskar

On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 09:32, Joseph Dal Molin wrote:
> Back to the future???
>
> Thinking out loud. Interesting site....makes one wonder what it would
> cost to build a terminal today, $50 ?, and whether the stage is set for
> a resurgence in some application areas given their simplicity and
> reliability etc. PC's are overkill in many hospital departments. In fact
> I would rather buy one decent server for home, rather than maintain the
> 3 pc's we use now and have some nice quiet flat panel x-terminals on the
> desktop.
>
> J.

This electronic mail transmission contains confidential and/or privileged information
intended only for the person(s) named.
Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure by another person is strictly prohibited.

NOTE: Ce courriel est destine exclusivement au(x) destinataire(s) mentionne(s)
ci-dessus et peut contenir de l'information privilegiee, confidentielle et/ou
dispensee de divulgation aux termes des lois applicables. Si vous avez recu ce message
par erreur, ou s'il ne vous est pas destine, veuillez le mentionner immediatement a
l'expediteur et effacer ce courriel.