Rusty --

Perhaps this is a good opportunity for me to explain the plethora of
OpenVistA packages at the WorldVistA project page at Source Forge
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/worldvista).

I package OpenVistA releases in two types of packages, OpenVistA VivA
and OpenVistA SemiVivA.

OpenVistA VivA releases are live CDs or live DVDs.  Boot your PC off one
of these, with either a USB flash drive attached, or with a hard drive
partition with sufficient space, and you can run VistA without the need
to install Linux, GT.M or the VistA routines to your hard drive.  All
you need on read-writable storage is the database (plus any journal
files if you choose to turn on journaling).  So, an OpenVistA VivA is
intended to be a complete, ready to run "instant VistA" system.
OpenVistA VivA packages can also be used to perform a complete install
of Linux, GT.M and VistA to your PC's hard drive.  OpenVistA VivA
releases sometimes also have other useful software such as
OpenOffice.org for word processing, spreadsheets and presentations
(which has its own native XML file format, but which can read and write
files in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other popular formats), Gimp (an
open source free software alternative to Photo Shop), games to kill
time, and much more.  I always carry an OpenVistA VivA CD/DVD with me
when I travel, even when I don't carry my laptop.

OpenVistA SemiVivA ("Half alive" - what a horrible name!  Now I know why
I studied engineering rather than marketing...) releases are packages of
only VistA and GT.M, but no Linux.  If you already have Linux, they're
for you.  They set up GT.M and VistA in /usr/local/gtm and
/usr/local/OpenVistA.  The intent is that these subdirectories of
/usr/local should not be modified once the package is installed, and as
with OpenVistA VivA, the intent is that the database file reside
somewhere else (/usr/local/OpenVistA/g/mumps.dat.gz is a zipped initial
database that is unzipped and copied elsewhere for use).

In both OpenVistA VivA and OpenVistA SemiVivA, I have a script
/usr/local/OpenVistA/vista, which can be used for initially installing
the VistA database in a directory of your choice.  This script prompts
the user for input via dialog boxes, and uses the Xdialog package to
create the dialog boxes.  Xdialog is included in Debian GNU/Linux, as
well as in OpenVistA VivA.  Xdialog is not included in popular Linux
releases such as Red Hat and SuSE, but can be downloaded and installed
from http://xdialog.dyns.net/

OpenVistA VivA and OpenVistA SemiVivA are types of packaging.  A release
name is something like OpenVistA VivA Gleeznop 0.85.  The designation
Gleeznop 0.85 is a designation of what configuration / version of VistA
is included (OpenVistA VivA Gleeznop 0.85 and OpenVistA SemiVivA
Gleeznop 0.85 will contain exactly the same GT.M and VistA).  If there
is a Gleeznop 0.85 release, and Quooxva 0.34 release, it does not mean
that the former is newer than the latter.  However, Quooxva 0.56 will be
newer than Quooxva 0.34.

OpenVistA VivA 0.4 and OpenVistA SemiVivA 0.4 (no further designation)
are the OpenVistA releases from the June, 2004, Seattle VistA Community
Meeting.

OpenVistA VivA FOIA Gold 0.1 does not have a corresponding OpenVistA
SemiVivA release.  There should be, but there isn't yet (there are only
so many hours in the day.  If you want the VistA and GT.M to run on your
existing Linux, please ask and I will try to create an OpenVistA
SemiVivA package (or maybe just tell you how to extract GT.M and
OpenVistA from the DVD).  FOIA Gold refers to the so called "gold
standard" VistA that comes from the VA FTP site - there is no VistA
software or data that did not come directly off the VA FTP site.

OpenVistA SemiVivA VA Demo 0.1 does not have a corresponding OpenVistA
VivA release.  Again, there should be, but there isn't yet.  This is the
VistA for the CPRS demo recently released by the VA.  As far as I know,
it is not intended to be a tested, fully functional VistA.

If you want a fully functional, tested, VistA, use either the release
from the Seattle meeting, or the FOIA Gold software if you want to stay
close to the VA source code.

One of my future projects is to start loading the source code for each
release into the CVS version control system at Source Forge.  Right now,
the version control is nowhere near as good as I would like it to be,
and the only way to get the software is from a VivA or SemiVivA package.

If this doesn't answer your questions, please ask again.

-- Bhaskar

On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 17:29, Nancy E. Anthracite wrote:
> The lack of information about this demo is entirely my fault.  I was supposed
> to write instructions, and have not yet. It is the same demo that you see at
> www.va.gov/CPRSdemo ported to GTM.  He has made it so you can install it on
> your hard drive if it is SemiViva, and run it off the Knoppix DVD you create
> if it is Viva (which will unpack to be a .iso file to be burned onto a DVD).
> If you are looking at a script to run, it is likely the former, SemiViva, to
> be installed on your hard drive in Linux.
>
> Bhaskar usually includes instructions for where you can download Xdialog,
> which installs easily.
>
>  This is purely a demo for CPRS as it has lots of routines in it that were
> used to make it, etc., and it is not really to be used as a model of a fully
> configured and functional system.  When you look at the online demo, you will
> see it has doctors like One, Doctor and patients like One, Patient and the
> like.
>
> The short version of the instructions once you have installed follow. Longer
> and more detailed instructions will follow once I have time to work on them.
> My apologies for not getting on them sooner, but my son is paying me an
> unexpected visit, so I am spending time with him.
>
> Start GTM, then D ^XUP Access code is WORLDVISTAIS#1, I think.  If you
> want to change it, D P^DI, Option 1, File 200, person is `10000000038 and
> change ACCESS CODE. (That is the "tic" below the ~ on your keyboard and there
> are 8 zeros between the 1 and the 38)  Then go back to the GTM prompts and
> back to D ^XUP.
>
> Then start Taskman D ^ZTMB and D ^ZTMON and then after Taskman is up and
> running (takes about 2 minutes to clear the startup hang), run D
> STRT^XWBTCP(9200) (you may use some port other than 9200 if you want.) then
> use the CPRSChart.exe the 23-15 version that is in OR_30_187.zip found in
> Order_Entry_Results_Reporting in the Software, Package section of
> ftp .va.gov/vista.
>
> When you shut down, D STOP^XWBTCP(9200) and then D STOP^ZTMKU.  When it
> all stops, halt GTM and then do
>
> mupip rundown -r "*"
>
> and then if it will not rundown, do the linux command
>
> ps -ef|grep mumps
>
> and stop all the mumps processes with
>
> mupip stop [process number]
>

> Then go back and do the rundown again.
>

> On Monday 11 October 2004 04:28 pm, T Maynard wrote:
> > Bhaskar,
> >
> >     Could you outline the prerequisites for using the demo
> > and its goal .... is it intended to install on harddisk and
> > running from an existing gtm install?
> >    I ask because the opening comment lines in the "vista"
> > script imply that it is intended to create a CD to run the demo.
> >     What is the role/rationale for Xdialog (which is
> > packaged with Mandrake10 but not 9.2 in my case)?
> >
> >    If this is  intended to demo CPRS GUI , does that mean
> > that the  globals include some interesting dummy patient
> [...]

This electronic mail transmission contains confidential and/or privileged information
intended only for the person(s) named.
Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure by another person is strictly prohibited.

NOTE: Ce courriel est destine exclusivement au(x) destinataire(s) mentionne(s)
ci-dessus et peut contenir de l'information privilegiee, confidentielle et/ou
dispensee de divulgation aux termes des lois applicables. Si vous avez recu ce message
par erreur, ou s'il ne vous est pas destine, veuillez le mentionner immediatement a
l'expediteur et effacer ce courriel.