we are working on an interface.

-----Original Message-----
From: A. Forrey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 11:15 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Hardhats-members] Fwd: Text of Article from Modern
Physician

The issue of lab data communication has largely been addressed by to sets
of messaging standards:
1) Instrument Interface with lab information systems (particulalry
Point-of-Care instrumentation) is address by NCCLS (1 Nov to be: "Clinical
and Laboratory Standards Institutue - CLSI) POCT1A
2) HL7 v2.x standards  and CLSI LIS2A and LIS5A which define
instrument-computer and computer-computer system data exchanges.

#1 uses message formats from #2 but defines low-lvel protocols similar to
LIS1A (the CLSI stds were previously ASTM E-31). The EHR locations of
these data (ASTM E-1384) have been mapped to the lab standards and are
being related to the newer V3 HL7 standards. VistA has an HL7 messaging
module that can deal with these messaging flow how ever the CLSI POCT1A
use with respect to lab data flow is in a later state of evolution.
Discussions are underway with World VistA about work with the clinical lab
specialty societies to address these issues in concert with society
educational forums and other meetings. The lab companies below usually have
this capability but use of the LOINC vocabulary (present in VistA) within
healthcare enterpise business processes is an additional dimension that
both lab service and lab information system Suppliers have had difficulty
with. Thus this probleme area will require collbaorative work with these
healthcare disciplines.

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Nancy E.
Anthracite wrote:

> I suspect by lab interface Kevin is referring to getting lab results back
from
> Lab Corp, Quest and the like and entering the results directly into the
EMR.
> Some years ago, the cost to do that was usually about $5000 collected by
the
> EMR company and another $5000 collected by the lab for an interface for
ONE
> lab.  I don't know it that is true any longer, but I strongly suspect it
is.
> Getting labs to make their output compliant with some standard would be a
big
> step forward and one that I think may have to be mandated by the
government
> sooner or later as there will be little incentive to change otherwise.
Now
> if the VA did not do their own lab for the most part, they are big enough
> force a standardized interface.
>
> On Tuesday 19 October 2004 02:22 pm, Cameron Schlehuber wrote:
>> I think those are excellent observations!
>>
>> As for lab results, most lab instruments have electronic interfaces built
>> in.  (In my experience, even the oldest equipment had at least a
>> rudimentary electronic output.)
>>
>> With regard to "upgrading", the VA has been extremely conservative with
>> regard to what kind of equipment the end user needs for access to VistA,
as
>> well as the server side hardware and software.  Unless you're getting
into
>> diagnostic imaging, hardware (and code set license) costs will be in line
>> with support costs (I would guess support costs over a 3 to 5 year
upgrade
>> cycle would be nearly the same as the hardware and license fees for the
>> same time period).
>>
>> Having standard health data interchange standards as ubiquitous as the
>> exchange standards banks use is critical to the VA's and the rest of the
>> world's success at providing a cost saving HER.  It's among the VHA's
>> highest priority if not THE highest.

Physician