Randy --

OpenVistA VivA and SemiVivA are two different ways to get the same
software.

VivA is an entire Linux distribution (a Debian repackaging) that runs
from CD, so you are indeed supposed to boot it and the UI will indeed be
different.  There is no VistA GUI - it's all character mode except for a
couple of initial prompts, and you will need to start a terminal window
(shell).  Since it runs off a CD, you will need to provide read/write
storage for the database.

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=347779 is probably the
best instructions for running OpenVistA VivA (even though they were
published for version 0.1).  What is missing from the directions is the
fact that before running it on a USB drive, the command "sudo insmod
usb-storage" needs to be typed in the shell before mounting a USB
drive.  [This missing step is not needed with OpenVistA VivA FOIA Gold
0.1.]

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=381142 is instructions
for OpenVistA SemiVivA.  Red Hat 8 is pretty old (RH themselves dropped
support for it a long time back), so I don't know for sure if GT.M
V4.4-004 will run on it - I don't know why it wouldn't, but since it is
not officially supported, I don't know for sure that it would.

If you are still having issues with either one, please post to the group
or send me e-mail off line.  The .mod file is how the Linux live CD is
packaged, and there is no need to directly access it to use OpenVistA
VivA.

Good luck, and please keep us posted with how you make out.

-- Bhaskar

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 11:19, Randy Hersom wrote:
> We've been having much trouble getting started.  We got a Red Hat 8.0 up and
> downloaded OpenVistA SemiVivA 0.4.  The file kept downloading past the
> announced file size and was reported as corrupt when we tried to unzip it.
> I then downloaded OpenVistA VivA 0.4 on my Windows box, burned it to CD and
> ran the CD on the Red Hat box.  I had to hunt around to find out that I was
> supposed to reboot.  After rebooting I was surprised to see my UI changed.
> I searched the menus for Vista and could not find it.  I ran CPRS on the
> windows machine and got a WSAETIMEDOUT error on connect.  I did find a .MOD
> file with OpenVistA in the title, but Linux thought it was an Amiga sound
> file and tried to play it when I double clicked.
>
> Any Ideas?
>
> Randy Hersom

This electronic mail transmission contains confidential and/or privileged
information intended only for the person(s) named.
Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure by another person is strictly
prohibited.

NOTE: Ce courriel est destine exclusivement au(x) destinataire(s) mentionne(s)
ci-dessus et peut contenir de l'information privilegiee, confidentielle et/ou
dispensee de divulgation aux termes des lois applicables. Si vous avez recu ce
message par erreur, ou s'il ne vous est pas destine, veuillez le mentionner
immediatement a l'expediteur et effacer ce courriel.