With GT.M you can easily use C (or any language with a C compatible
calling interface - some restrictions apply, so read the documentation)
to call M and vice versa.  If you are already programming in M for
VistA, it may make sense to stick with M, but ultimately it's really
your choice.

KB_SQL (http://www.knowledgebasedsys.com) is a SQL/ODBC interface that
is used at a number of sites within the VA, and outside the VA has been
in production use for many years.  It's not free, but it is reasonably
priced.

ESI is working on (has?) an OQL engine that will run on GT.M.

My personal view is that it adds unnecessary complexity to have multiple
databases with intersecting dependencies, when one database can
accommodate all needs.  If the practice management software doesn't
require Oracle, but can work with any ODBC database, this may be
something to consider.  Otherwise, you are looking at some way to export
data between databases.

-- Bhaskar

On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 23:01, Kevin Toppenberg wrote:
> Nick,
>
> You will get the tightest integration if you use M.
> GT.M is designed to work with C, and I believe other
> languages that can load is obj files.  There is also a
> perl interface I believe.
>
> I am facing a similar issue.  Our practice was a
> practice management package with Oracle as its
> database.  Some of the doctors wish changes to
> demographics on that side could be reflected in VistA.
>  If I get pushed to do this, I think I will write an
> independant program that queries with SQL the Oracle
> database, then somehow notifies VistA.  Perhaps I
> could do this by writing to a log file etc.
>
> The Sanchez website (GT.M owner) indicates one can
> access Vista data via SQL, but I've never seen anyone
> discuss it.
>
> http://www.sanchez-gtm.com/technology/architecture.htm
>
> Exactly how much independent coding are you going to
> do for billing etc.?  That is an extremely complex
> issue to tackle, and I wonder if you might not do
> better to purchase a commercial system.
>
> That's my 2 cents worth.  :-)
>
> Kevin
>

> --- Nick James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > In the context of a new development in a 300-bed
> > hospital, what language and approach would you
> > suggest
> > for those modules that are to complement VistA in a
> > local customisation. These relate to patient
> > registration, billing, pharmacy and other localized
> > user requirements that are not directly available in
> > Vista)?
> >
> > Can it work independent of VistA, with only batch
> > updating of the VistA database? Then the system
> > would
> > work with or without VistA.
> >
> > Nick

> > Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Get it on your mobile
> > phone.
> > http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo

> > Interactive Reporting
> > Tool for open source databases. Create drag-&-drop
> > reports. Save time
> > by over 75%! Publish reports on the web. Export to
> > DOC, XLS, RTF, etc.
> > Download a FREE copy at
> > http://www.intelliview.com/go/osdn_nl

This electronic mail transmission contains confidential and/or privileged
information intended only for the person(s) named.
Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure by another person is strictly
prohibited.

NOTE: Ce courriel est destine exclusivement au(x) destinataire(s) mentionne(s)
ci-dessus et peut contenir de l'information privilegiee, confidentielle et/ou
dispensee de divulgation aux termes des lois applicables. Si vous avez recu ce
message par erreur, ou s'il ne vous est pas destine, veuillez le mentionner
immediatement a l'expediteur et effacer ce courriel.