You might be interested in the book, the Difference
Engine, by William Gibson, and Bruce Sterling.  They
spin a tail not so different from the setting you
propose.  Except they have the difference engine being
widely adopted, and being used for a wide variety of
purposes.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/BookSearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=T28eS7yAvp&isbn=055329461X&itm=1

Kevin

=== message truncated ===