I don't see a disagreement. I haven't seen any of the experts claim that public
domain IS
a _license_. It seems more of a license void.

The FOIA VistA sources are in the public domain because they were produced by
the federal
government. The rosenlaw article claims that individuals cannot place software
in the
public domain, so it would seem that a license is necessary to cover
contributions of
software to OpenVistA from outside of the government.

Maury wrote:
>Apparently there's room for disagreement even between "experts".  I've found
>interesting
info on this site: www.rosenlaw.com/pubs.htm.  One of the documents, "Why the
Public
Domain Isn't a License" www.rosenlaw.com/lj16.htm specifically takes on this