To extend the analogy (maybe "stretch" would be a better word), in Linux (or in this case, OS X) you can start a new shell like this

~:$ bash >~:$

(I use a different prompt for subshells.)

In VistA, you can't use the same command, so ^XUP is provided. If you just want to go through the sign in process without running an option, you can use ^XUS.

(When you think about it, no one runs init or getty from the bash prompt, either.)

====
Gregory Woodhouse
[EMAIL PROTECTED]