Kevin mentioned in one of his very helpful notes to this list,

"Printing success & description of method"
Kevin Toppenberg Mon, 10 Jan 2005 17:57:07 -0800]

the entries for the device file including the following:

PRE-OPEN EXECUTE: DO SETJOB^ZZZPRNTR(.IO) ;Note:
Change IO (output file)

What should the output file be? Is that the spool directory for the client, the URI of the printer or the type of file i.e. PDF/PS

I have setup CUPS on one of the LAN servers here (in this case running under FreeBSD 4.8) and can print from all the Linux workstations as well as from a Windows 2000 Pro box. I think I am almost there in printing from within VistA/GT.M/Debian. This is what I have so far: (the printer is a Brother 1240 laser)

OUTPUT FROM WHAT FILE: DEVICE//
Select DEVICE NAME: test-LINUX-PRINTER      HOME LAN     $I:
ANOTHER ONE:
STANDARD CAPTIONED OUTPUT? Yes//   (Yes)
Include COMPUTED fields: (N/Y/R/B): NO// - No record number (IEN), no Computed
 Fields

NAME: TEST-LINUX-PRINTER                $I: $I:
  ASK DEVICE: NO                        ASK PARAMETERS: NO
  SIGN-ON/SYSTEM DEVICE: YES            QUEUING: ALLOWED
  LOCATION OF TERMINAL: HOME LAN        LOCAL SYNONYM: HL1240
  ASK HOST FILE: NO                     ASK HFS I/O OPERATION: NO
MNEMONIC: HL1240
  POST-CLOSE EXECUTE: DO FINISH^ZZZPRNTR("HL1240")
  PRE-OPEN EXECUTE: DO SETJOB^ZZZPRNTR(.IO)
  SUBTYPE: P-HPLASER-P12                USE TIMEOUT ON OPENS: NO
  TYPE: TERMINAL
  PRINT SERVER NAME OR ADDRESS: 192.168.0.105
REMOTE PRINTER NAME: HL1240 ASK DEVICE TYPE AT SIGN-ON: YES, ASK

Also should one use the URI/IPP or the IP address for the printer address?

Thank you.

Ismet

--
Ismet B. Kursunoglu, MD, FCCP