There have been some postings regarding this issue so I hope these comments are helpful.

I have been installing GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD on laptops since 1998 with few problems. And now with all the increased driver support (rare exceptions with some things like wireless chipsets-i.e. Broadcom-but even there you have ndiswrapper) it is pretty easy to maintain a reliable system.

The system/package management/facilities, portability, stability and support provided by Debian make it our "standard" environment of choice. (In our case we consider "support" being that offered by the extensive global effort that includes bug tracking/reporting/resolution, automated security updates/patches, extensive mailing lists, seamless package management, and reliable system upgrade procedures)

All this along with the various supported platforms are easily available at www.debian.org

There are commercial vendors all over who will provide contract/installation/support options of all kinds if need be. http://www.debian.org/consultants/ And the big vendors are there as well, for example HP http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/76815-0-0-225-121.aspx

And of course there is Ian Murdock's company http://www.progeny.com/ (he was the founder of the whole Debian project)

(BTW there is a map of "known" users at http://maps.bzzt.net/users-big.jpg?481,96 and you can register you site at http://www.linuks.mine.nu/debian-worldmap/)

The latest installer CD makes it really easy to install on most standard laptops (I am writing this from a Gateway 7405GX AMD 64 laptop) Just get the right one for your platform. I like the network based installation ISOs

http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

But you have many other choices.

Sometimes folks don't like the disk partitioning/file system setup - if so you might like to try using the first Mandrake CD1

http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mandrakelinux/official/iso/

They have a fantastic GUI based tool to accomplish this part of the installation that covers nearly all aspects of this process. When done with the partitioning you can return to Debian CD (but now the new Debian installation process makes the whole issue of partitioning pretty easy)

You should also take a look at http://www.linux-laptop.net/ to find out any particular issues regarding systems prior to purchase.

The only problems I have encountered have been with the unsupported wireless chipsets (check the laptop page noted above- i.e.things like Centrino etc..).

The other thing has been failed Hitachi Travelstar notebook drives. This of course is not related to the OS. I prefer using Seagate - they have been extremely reliable (for our notebooks, workstations and servers) but don't appear to be used in most notebooks or typical vendor systems.

I like Knoppix, but have found their disk installation facilities more limited, but that may have changed in the last year.

--
Ismet B. Kursunoglu, MD, FCCP
Medical Director