I've talked to Nancy about the need for modularity and extensibility for precisely the same reasons. I don't think I've ever seen two products with non-trivial data dictionaries map cleanly to one another on a semantic level. Even when the mappings look like they make sense, there are always surprises once actually try to get the two systems working together. Some people think metadata is the answer here, and some think the answer is to have more carefully specified ontologies. I'm not really convinced in either case.
===
Gregory Woodhouse
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Before one gets the right answer, one must ask the right question." -- S. Barry Cooper