Usually, they are enabled by default and have to be explicitly
disabled. If you want to break out of a program, just enter GT.M or
Cache directly, and sign in with D ^XUP. (Don't sign in the "usual" way
using ^ZU). But, again, I emphasize that this is not something you want
to do in production, because if users are allowed to break out of a
program, they basically have free run of the system.