If you only have about 1 chance in 20 of success, a payoff of 6 times
your initial investment isn't a very good bet.

Now, implementing an EMR will require an initial investement (possibly
sizeable) but may increase or decrease your cost of doing business. The
point, though, is that if situation in which you benefit from having an
EMR occur with some probability, and if you can estimate what that
benefit might be (for a single patient, single episode of care, single
month, etc.) then you can estimate the likelihood that your initial
investment will pay off.