Bhaskar,

I was thinking of hard disk writes - a misinterpretation from talks we've had, for which I gladly apologize.

On Oct 6, 2005, at 6:25 PM, Bhaskar, KS wrote:

Chuck --

I am not sure what core functions are not open source. Every last line of source code for GT.M on x86 GNU/Linux has been released under the GPL.

Note that we have chosen not to release the source code for GT.M on other platforms under the GPL (it is available for a price to those who license it, but not under GPL). But given that 100% of GT.M as implemented on x86 GNU/Linux is GPL'd, what "core functions" were you thinking of that are not open source?

Regards
-- Bhaskar

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of chuck5566
Sent:    Thu 10/6/2005 1:20 PM
To:    hardhats-members@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Hardhats-members] Language extensions in GT.M - a possibility? a necessity? a bad idea? Isn't this one of the reasons GT.M was kind enough to release the source code, to allow the _community_ to produce changes/ improvements/additions?

Except for the very core functions that are not open-source, I believe we have the technology. We can rebuild it. ;-)

On Oct 6, 2005, at 11:27 AM, Kevin Toppenberg wrote:

If GT.M were to implement this, certainly someone would have to fund it.

Perhaps a more generalized approach would be good, where GT.M allows "plug-in" modules for language extension?

Then again, I think it already has ways to call into and out of external languages, so perhaps it is already there.

Kevin