----- Original Message -----

On 1/11/06, James Gray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The main thing that the VistA lookup routine does ...

Are you referring to a fileman function?  A registrion code module?  A bit of code stored in the data dictionary?

Thanks
Kevin

[JLG]  A lookup routine is part of the DD of a file.  It is a routine that is used instead of the standard Fileman lookup code when finding a file entry if you are doing the lookup using a classic fileman lookup.
Jim

is help look for potential
duplicate patients.  I have not looked at the routine much.  ^AUPNLK* does
that and it makes sure that required fields in both file 2 and file 9000001
are populated correctly.  Some of the code is old.  Most of it was written
before the silent calls were available.  It uses classical calls within that
code.  It would take a lot of work to replace the functionality using
something other than a lookup routine.  I do not know how silent the code
is.

Jim Gray