I think I feeling much better... :-)

Consistent with the invisible technology bit, my own work in "modelling" is rendering the invisible, visible. As with technology, organisational infrastructure only becomes apparent when it's not working... So, when we feel that it's not working, we need to be able to "see" it to fix it. Hence the power of models - don't know if I'm mixing threads here, but it's your "higher level of abstraction", Greg. Maybe I'll tack onto the correct thread to build this further...

As for programmers, yes, I'd love to be able to add a bunch of experienced programmers to the "pool". Without them, here in NZ, VistA would be a non-starter...

We couldn't start something of this magnitude based on healthcare professionals doing their own software maintenance. There would be absolutely no reason to move from where they are if that were the case. The "barrier to entry" for open source VistA would reach beyond the clouds...

Thanks again to all,
Stephen