Indeed

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Kevin
Toppenberg
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 10:28 PM
To: hardhats-members@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Hardhats-members] What is the best (automated) way to update
existing patient records?

Well, I have spend a LONG and somewhat frustrating day working of
mapping of data from our PM to VistA patients records.

Who would have ever thought that such a "simple" project would be so
complicated.  But Murphy says that when it can get messed up, it will.

A classic example is my wife, Marcia.  Someone put her into the PM as
Marsha.  So how should the PM data impact VistA data?  The PM is
technically the source of data, as new patients are put in, and
patients instruct the front staff that the address is wrong, or
correct misspellings to their name etc.  But the front staff also
appears to be too busy to be paying proper attention to entering data
in correctly!

I have been exploring using soundex searches from the Kernel function,
and have written a lookup routine that returns results as: doubtful,
possible, probably, complete matches.  I start with a strict search,
and then progressively loosen up (i.e. drop the middle name, then drop
all but the first 3 letters of the first name, then drop all but the
first 1 letter of the first name, etc. etc.)

What a nightmare....

Kevin

On 1/25/06, J. Michael Towry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Cameron Schlehuber wrote "Using the Practice Management assigned ID and
> storing that ID as the Health Record Number (HRN) in VistA is EXACTLY the
> right thing to do!  Some of the patches to VOE (soon to come out as Class
> patches to VistA FOIA) are based on how Indian Health Service uses the
HRN."