> If you really want to test the RAM on your system, get memtest86+, which

Right. What is interesting is that the one system that failed mprime passed
on 24 hours of memtest86+. The mprime failure occurred in under 1 hour. So I am
using the combination of the two along with a kernel compile to get an overall
"Dow Jones average" for the processor and system memory. In my experience one of
these will always detect a problem, no matter how subtle.

I am running smartctl and smartd for the disks which are running either
software,
or in most instances, hardware RAID. I have also found IBM's (not Hitachi) drive
fitness test helpful in analyzing most disk drives and their sub-systems.
http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Are there other or better ways to monitor disk drives? Is the SMART firmware on
modern disks reliable?  I ask as tomorrow I finally will start to build our
VistA
server. (3Ware SATA controller, Dual Opteron Tyan mainboard, WD Raptor disks)

Ismet

--
Ismet B. Kursunoglu, MD, FCCP

 Medical Director