I'd like to second the comments made below.  One of the things I loved about working with MUMPS and FileMan/Kernel as a developer was the speed with which I could prototype things and then have a feedback loop with the users to more reasonably assure that they got what they needed, not what they wanted or thought they needed.  Obviously this also meant me spending time talking with them to understand as best I could what their jobs were and asking questions to help identify the differences between what they thought they wanted/needed and what would actually work best.  And then followed the rapid prototype and feedback loop until things were satisfactory.  Some of this involved educating users, more was probably educating me.  And there were times when either my or the software's limitations kept things from being quite what we hoped for in the best of all possible worlds.

In short, if we have developers and users (and hopefully some who are both) we maximize the possibilities of an outcome that works for the users.

Another issue, which I hope is also feasible, is to maintain and increase flexibility.  The work I did (using Kernel/Fileman as a development base, not Vista) was with multiple counties and clearly each had different needs which varied by size of client base and staff, distribution of labor (which functions were grouped, which separate), differing requirements for order and outcomes of functions, and differing needs for data items to capture and their possible values and interrelationships.  Meanwhile, any functionality developed for one county was available for the others with their own variations allowed.  The result was a system that was simple at one site while complex at another and more robust at all.  That is what Vista offers when tools are used well and users are involved in the general development that still allows for differences at a given site.  A small office and a large office will not have the same needs and it will not just vary by which functions they need, but how they use them.  If we can anticipate that flexibility and expand on it, the product will be accessible to more and more specific users.

Given I haven't looked at a current Vista, my apologies about lack of awareness of any such built in flexibility.

Marianne Follingstad
301 251-0139

James Abbott wrote:

Good afternoon all.

I have read with interest the posts about user
interfaces.  I have just started playing with VistA,
and have had a little success with both the Windows
version and the Linux version.  My main job, however,
is working with AHLTA (the DoD EMR), and serving as a
functional representative in the design process.  I do
several things with the project, including
implementing in at different AF installations.  As
such, I get a lot of feedback from users about how the
interface does or (more often) doesn't meet their
needs.  Today I was with a group of about 10 providers
(mostly FP, a few others) going over suggestions for
improvements to AHLTA and trying to prioritize them.
It is an interesting process, and it leads to one
overwhelming conclusion:

"Users don't know what they want."

It amazes me how users will ask for things and be so
convinced that it will make everything 'better' if
they get 'just this one thing.'  I often work on
describing workflow scenarios for these users to show
that oftentimes what they want is not what they asked
for.  Providers (docs, NPs, PAs) that are not too
familiar with the system ask for what they don't
really need, and users that are comfortable with the
system have figured out how to do there job and no
longer complain about things!  It is an interesting
cycle to see.

Another aspect of my job is reviewing the requirements
for new functionality before it is built.  The
conclusion that comes from this is just as obvious.

"Programmers have no idea what we actually do."

I shouldn't slam just programmers on this point.
Military providers (and I'm sure most civilian
providers) are constantly juggling several items at
once.  We are the original multitaskers!  Yet too
often the software has been designed as if I document
everything with a patient in one setting, finishing it
before moving on to the next patient.  In reality, I
may have three different workstations running at the
same time as I go from exam room to exam room and
answer phone calls in my office.  Any proposed
solution that doesn't take that kind of workflow into
account will be less than optimal.

An interesting thing I saw the other day in a document
was related very closely to what Gregory Woodhouse
mentioned in his e-mail on the topic.  The proposed
interface dealt with scanning and importing documents.
 The user had a radio button choice to pick between
scanning and importing a file.  Once the user picked
that radio button, the button to pick the file became
available.  Step 1 - choose radio button.  Step 2 -
pick file.  This is the linear thought from
programmers that users don't get.  Luckily I had them
enable the pick file button without the radio button
having to be picked first.  Now I'm down to one click
instead of two.  The initial design clearly shows that
the thought was on the background processes that
needed to occur, not what the user actually needs.

My job with AHLTA is to fight to make it easier for
providers to get through their day.  My work with
VistA will hopefully let me see what is good and bad
in the CPRS for the end users.  For those in the
design process, it will always be "the more you know,
the more you know."  I know more now that I did two
weeks ago.  I know I'm glad I don't deal with Vista or
CHCS management daily.  I know what my fellow
providers that deal with VistA daily are coming from.
I know that thoughtful design will make the
documentation of my care provided easier.

I hope I can pass that along.

James Abbott, M.D.

http://mail.yahoo.com