According to the Fileman reference manual, the 3rd piece is "most
recently assigned internal entry number" and the 4th piece is the
"current total number of entries"

If there had been a deletion and addition into the middle of the file
your method wouldn't work.

For example, if the entries were:

1,2,3,6,7,9,15

and 6 was the last one added, then we would have

^^6^7

Right?

Kevin

current total number of entries

The 3rd piece of the zeroth node is equal to the last IEN of the file,
increment that number by 1 for the next IEN  ie,

S (DINUM,X)=+$p(^psndf(50.67,0),U,3)+1,DIC="^PSNDF(50.67,",DIC(0)="L"
K DD,D0 D FILE^DICN Q:Y'>0