<quote who="Kevin Toppenberg">
> Here is a question for you linux gurus out there.
>
> I recently set up a new server and installed CentOS.  I was quite
> impressed with it, and I'd like to upgrade my older server (running RH
> 9) to this newer OS if possible.
>
> Can one install a newer linux on top of an older one?  I always get
> confused when it displays my disks and divides it up in ways that I
> didn't know exists etc.  I wouldn't want to erase old data.
>
> Should I just leave well enough alone, or is it a straight-forward thing
> to do?

Upgrades are difficult when you stay within the same distro.  Switching
distros and trying to do an upgrade is something I would only suggest to a
guru who has many many hours to waste.

Figure out what systems are critical and back them up.  Then do a fresh
install and restore your apps.  Fight the upgrade battle from that front.
It has been the most sane approach for me.

believed to be clean.