Removing vista-officeehr-forum from the list, since this is a technical
discussion and that list is mostly those interested in implementing
VistA Office EHR.  Other comments below.

-- Bhaskar

Gregory Woodhouse wrote:

> On Jun 13, 2006, at 3:11 PM, K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
>
>> ...features defined in the standard but not supported by one or
>>
>> another MUMPS implementation (e.g., ACID transactions),...
>>

> This goes beyond the scope of what I initially had in mind, but it
> seems to me that a major advantage of high level languages (like
> MUMPS) is that compilers can generate code for a target platform. If
> different dialects of MUMPS are compilable, then they can still be
> portable. But the infrastructure needed to support ACID transactions
> goes well beyond this, and so (for good or ill) MUMPS seems positioned
> somewhere between a language and a DBMS, making portability a much
> more sticky problem.
[KSB] I see your argument, but I see things a little differently.  ACID
transactions are critical to implementing robust applications, and there
needs to be a way to bracket a set of database accesses & database
updates and designate those as requiring ACID properties.  MUMPS is not
positioned between a language and a database - MUMPS includes both a
language and a database, and is an ideal location for defining ACID
semantics.  Things get sticky when defining ACID properties across
databases (e.g., for two phase commit), but they get sticky even in the
non-MUMPS world (which is why I am not aware of any high end tranaction
processing application that routinely uses two phase commit).

I agree that in general, differences between M dialects can be occulted
by a compiler encapsulates MUMPS.  Indeed, in Profile, our banking
application, we have a lightweight, typed, object oriented scripting
language with a framework for creating financial products.  That is what
application logic is written in, and under the covers, compiled to
GT.M.  In much the same way, many Java implementations use a virtual
machine that the typical Java application programmer never sees.