Michael;

   Sorry, I misunderstood your initial question.  GLOBAL NAME is usually just the name of the global without the circumflex, "^".  As you know, circumflex is a separator in VistA.  An extra circumflex can shift everything over a field (which as you might imagine, can cause havoc in the file structures.

Now it seems as though you wish to put input into ^TMP($J, ?? ^TMP is likely to be deleted at any time.  And depending upon the current $JOB number is likely to be a problem.  Next time you come back, you will likely have a different $JOB value.  Now with such a volitile situation, it is unlikely that Fileman doesn't know about this global or its field definitions.  This is an interesting idea, but likely will result in data which will not be easy to find again (if it is still there).  There are better ways of doing this.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 11:59 AM
Subject: [Hardhats-members] Edit mode with up-arrow input

Hi! When I am in Edit mode, inputting data to a Fileman file, if the input begins with an up-arrow ^ , the routine assumes I am trying to jump. So it looks something like this:

GLOBAL NAME: ^TMP($J??

GLOBAL NAME: etc.

Is there some way to enter an input beginning with an up-arrow?

Thanks,

Michael Reach