> In Ismet's case, I suspect that the 1h is coming from some mismatch
> having to do with terminal characteristics on the server side (e.g.,
> libncurses).  I wonder if something like "stty sane" before going into
> GT.M might make a difference.

I tried that but you still see the GTM>1h displayed under stock FreeBSD 6.1,
i386.

> GNU screen (http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/) may be a way to deal
> with the occasional connection freezing or dropping.

That is a great idea! Then I could just resume the session later on a
different terminal.

Of course I would still like to know if this behavior, i.e. the ssh
lockups that I see from console sessions, is hardware (switch-network
adapter-cabling, bus, heat etc..) or software related. (send or recv issues
or the myriad of possible adjustments to the application or network layers)
As time allows I will try to figure it out and report back.

Overall I really like to use Debian-Stable as much as possible (the
rapidity and package management of security updates being the star feature)
however
when it comes to networking features and internals and overall system
documentation
and cohesiveness FreeBSD wins. To really understand something about
networks or security I often I will read the FreeBSD manual or better yet the
FreeBSD and OpenBSD man pages, which are an invaluable resource.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi

--
Ismet B. Kursunoglu, MD, FCCP