Oh it will authenticate, but the new rules specifically say NO. double edged sword I think. Heck we used to able to buy just the COA and key. not any more. >:-}
FWIW I refuse to put those ugly stickers on pretty cases unless inside the side panel.
new law was sighed by Bush
fp

At 08:28 AM 4/14/2005, [EMAIL PROTECTED] Poked the stick with:

----- Original Message ----- From: "FORC5" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "The Hardware List" <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 9:40 AM
Subject: Re: [H] Here's a weird ruling from MS

I caught that at my last live meeting, it also is not legal to move a COA and OS from a OEM box to a white box even if the  >OEM box is destroyed.

If it authenticates it is legal. If you attempt to bypass authentication, that is illegal. Even if you have to call Microsoft during the authentication process it is legal. After all, if Microsoft does not like what was sent in, they do not have to allow you to authenticate it.

I am speaking of major repair jobs which include replacing most of all components of a name brand computer. The largest job that I called Microsoft about was a Dell P4 job. The ONLY part I kept from the Dell was its P4 CPU. Microsoft approved my request via a telephone voice conversation. I used the Product Key from the COA on the Dell, of course.

No matter what others have said in the past (some refer to a scoring process) I am convinced that you can get Microsoft approval to authenticate if you at least use the

OEM CPU and the Product Key from the COA found on the OEM computer.

You can end up with a nice job if you use a quality motherboard mounted in a quality case. The most commonly OEM parts I move over are the CPU, the Video Card (if it was not onboard), the memory, the hard drive and the CD/DVD devices.

If your first attempt to authenticate fails, have the actual Product Key the OEM used when they installed Windows handy. It may work. Otherwise be prepared to call Microsoft and explain that you are doing a major repair job, even if the only component you brought forward was the CPU.

Chuck

--
Tallyho ! ]:8)