Saturday I did something utterly strange.

I ordered 4GB of PC2100 for my Athlon64 desktop (scan.co.uk's today only page over the weekend, 2GB Apacer(I think) PC2100 dimms bundled with Asaka heatspreaders for £57/ea, bargain of the decade right there)

said PC2100 is presently in the A64, running at 160Mhz (at not brilliant timings, but hey, paging has been told where to get off)

http://chryx.shacknet.nu/memreport.png (memory latency is an Opteron'ish 52ns on a 512byte stride, measured by sciencemark)

it POSTS at those timings at 200Mhz, makes me wish I had a DFI Lanparty so I could feed it 3.2v or so

as it stands I've lost ~200 points in 3dmark 2003 relative to the Corsair PC3200LL I was using previously, so the gaming performance is there (and BF2 will stop hitching with high quality textures, hooray)

in related news, notice how windows isn't seeing all of the ram (PCI- E addressing eats a chunk and so on) - CPU-Z is even more confused and seeing less ram than windows, wtf!

the PAE switch does nothing, even with the 'S/W memory address range remapping' thing in the bios toggled that's supposed to shuffle the PCI-E addressing out of the first 32bits of address range.

Suggestions?

Windows XP x64 is on the table as a last resort, I'd need new TV and sound cards (WinTV PCI FM and GametheaterXP, no x64 drivers for either, doesn't look like they're coming either :(), so a PAE based solution would be preferable in the short term, anyone?

-_-_
James Boswell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ : 1653327 | AIM : TorazChryx