From: Steve Tomporowski
To: The Hardware List
Sent: Sunday, October 23, 2005 9:33 AM
Subject: [H] K8N Neo Platinum Problems

This is a system I built last year:  K8N Neo Platium MB, BFG 128M 6800
Video, A64 3400+, Two SATA Drives, Two PATA Drives, CD Burner, DVD Burner,
430 Watt (Old) Antec Power Supply.  It has a couple of problems:

1) Initially this system was set up with 2 SATA drives and a DVD drive.
Consolidating systems, I added the two PATA drives, then after a while,
tried to add the CD and DVD burners.  For most of the troubleshooting time,
Win2k Sp4 would hang at the Loading Windows screen (rolling blue bar would
stop).  Suddenly on a reboot, it started working.  Now, for the most part it
boots completely, but every once in a while will hang.  Tried to enable
bootlog on one of the hangs, but got nothing, no file at all.  Tried
replacing cable and each drive separately.  Without either there was no
problem.

2) UT2004--This system works worse than my NF2 with a 5900 Nvidia.
Basically it stutters, if I move in one direction and look straight ahead,
no problem.  However if I try to strafe or turn, I get several rapid
stutters of the image.  I've even reduced the detail to the same as the NF2
system, no improvement.  Nothing extra running in Process Manager.  Nvidia
drivers at 7803, don't know the current status of the NF3 drivers, might be
original as well as the BIOS being original.

The only things I can think of right now is to update the BIOS and the MB
drives.

Is there a know problem here?

Thanks....Steve