Try getting an MS DOS disc out and use FDISK /MBR.  That might do it.

Regards,

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of James Maki
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 1:48 PM
To: 'The Hardware List'
Subject: [H] Making system drive bootable -- HELP!

I installed 2 new drives on my system yesterday. When I restored the image
(Acronis True Image 8.0), the drive will no longer boot. I have tried many
different methods, none worked. I get the error message "Error Loading
Operating System" or "No Operating system found".

I am trying to restore to a SATA RAID (it was previously located on a SATA
RAID with different drives).

I restored the image to an old EIDE drive and the system is up and running,
albeit extremely slow (it is an old 8.4 GB IBM Deskstar ATA33), so I know
the image is alright.

I am sure there is something I am missing and would appreciate a push in the
right direction. The SATA RAID is up and running. I have set the BIOS to
boot from the SATA RAID. I have enabled the SATA RAID in the BIOS. If I do a
fresh install to the SATA RAID, it works fine (but I don't relish doing a
complete re-install at this time). If I try to restore the image to the
freshly created install, it gives the "error loading operating system" error
message on boot. If I then attempt to restore an image of the fresh install,
it also fails.

I have tried several of the 'fix" commands from the repair install from Win
XP (fixmbr, fixboot, or something similar -- sorry, don't have it in front
of me).

Any help would be very appreciated. I have struggled with this for over a
day now and it is getting old. I know I have restored the boot image
numerous times. This is the first time I have attempted to restore it to a
new drive.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jim Maki
[EMAIL PROTECTED]