RLS wrote:

Just did my first Linux based install using Unbuntu. It is pretty graphical
and I am surprised by all of the native applications types available from
the get go.

Question 1
I installed the 64 bit version. Can I install Linux64 bit drivers for the
motherboard, netcard etc?
Drivers in the "windows" sense don't really exist much for Linux. Most hardware is natively supported by the kernel. Any hardware maker that intends to have full linux support must get their drivers into the mainline kernel or else they will be playing a game of catchup with every kernel release. The kernel development team does not care for, or take the time to test, with 3rd party drivers.

All of the drivers install by the unbuntu install are already the 64 bit versions, as you are running a 64 bit kernel.

If any hardware is not detected or working, post it to the list, and we can see what is going on with it.

Question 2
Besides the desire to game, why wouldn't a typical home user want a linux
based system? Heck all of the apps seem free, its graphical, even supports
my camera out of the box. I mean for just word processing, surfing the
internet and looking at pics and playing some mp3's is there a valid reason
for them 'wanting' Windows?

Some distros (Debian for example) don't ship with MP3 codecs, as they would have to pay very large licensing costs to then distrubute it for free. I don't know if unbuntu ships with MP3 codecs or not, but they are easy to ad via an external apt source.

Typical power user will have issues with a linux desktop, as all of the "neat tricks" they learned under windows may or may not apply. Your average user does great, as long as they don't admin the system (changing hardware can be a little tricky at time, adding devices can be hit or miss if you don't know what you are doing, etc).

Your average "managed" desktop in a corporate or educational environment can do great with Linux. Linux is admin friendly or expert friendly, it's also user friendly, it's not idiot user who thinks they can admin a system friendly.

The biggest road block is Windows only intranet (not internet, but local intranet) applications, and Windows only custom applications for industry specific use. The more of those that move to a Web 2.0 model using Linux server appliances, the better.

So far the only thing that has me off a step is getting comfortable with the
way the file management system presents itself.
Basically, as a user, all you care about is /home/$user

                           Harry

Thanks,Bob