Hi,

This board is Socket 754, and can't do Dual Core (maybe a mobile dual
core, but I doubt the bios would like it).

You can either go S939 or AM2, 939 he can keep his 1GB of current
memory, AM2 he would need new memory.

Does he currently have a video card, or is he using the onboard video.
Would he want a "second" system, or reuse as many parts as possible.

Here is what I would go with for the reuse as much as possible:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131570 (motherboard)

Any S939 X2 you want, NewEgg is short on them (moving to AM2), but this
might work for you:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103545

This would keep the current memory, and only replace the board and chip.

If you want board/chip/ram, it will add $150-300 to the cost (1GB or 2GB
memory), everything else being equal.

                                                                Harry