With an upgraded bios, it can go up to a 3700+ single core.

For under $250, you might want to look at this setup:
Keep the memory

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103586
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131570

(it is a tad over the $250 budget, ~$260)

If it must be under $250:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103588
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131570

Or the really cheap AM2 upgrade in bits (does not get you much speed,
but does the platform shift, and you can buy the new X2 cpu in a few
months):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813130065
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820145568
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819103032