Not quite, you can have unbuffered ECC.

Modern ECC can be done with Parity memory and a proper memory controller.

I use Unbuffered ECC (Kingston) in a lot of my A64 workstation builds,
as it's not much more expensive than non-ECC and it helps with even more
system and data integrity.

Most servers (ie opterons, etc) use registered (buffered) ECC, which not
only needs the parity bits, but needs a buffer chip.

ECC will have either 9 or 18 Memory chips (it's possible to do it with
5, 4 identical, and one odd ball, but I have not seen it done recently)
non-ECC will have 4, 8 or 16 Memory chips
Registered ECC will be the same as ECC, but also have one or two
non-memory buffer chips on it.

                                                       Harry