ok thanks, I think the Netgear was the more expensive one but I may go with that one anyway since it has the higher throughput capacity.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Thane Sherrington" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "The Hardware List" <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 2:09 AM
Subject: Re: [H] Linksys or Netgear USB wireless adapter?

At 01:17 AM 01/08/2007, Veech wrote:
I bought two USB wireless adapters a couple days ago to bring home and compare because I couldn't decide which one was better in the store. Turns out they are both basically the same specs: 2.4GHz, USB 2.0, 802.11g, except the Linksys is 54Mbps and the Netgear is 108 Mbps. I'm only using these for wireless internet connection, not setting up a file-sharing network of any kind. Is there any reason to go for one over the other? Price is about the same, maybe $8 difference.

Range, I guess. I'd try them both out and see which one gives you better range (if that's an issue.) Since the speed will drop off with distance, it is possible to end up at 1Mbps where you are using it if the interference is bad enough. From a reliablity perspective, I find Netgear to be quite good.