Only just recently have I gotten into virtualization and golly gee, I think
it's swell!

I rebuilt my personal computer as a low power / quiet system in a slim case. I
don't do any gaming so I just needed something that could play high quality
H.264 videos without a hitch.

I also consolidated several systems into one quad core computer w/4gb of ram.
I've got all sorts of VM's on it such as Win2003 Server, CentOS, Ubuntu,
FreeBSD, Win2K Pro, etc. Primarily it acts as a file server with 2TB (5x500gb
RAID 5) storage space. I have Asterisk running on the host OS so it can handle
the telephony card that is installed and connected to my POTS lines. I utilize
the different vm's for various tasks like testing apps and operating systems,
ripping/encoding, file sharing, music&video streaming, network backups, etc. I
can connect to the various VM's from my pc or laptop using Remote Desktop or
VNC. Since it resides in my wiring closet on the opposite end of the house I
don't hear the slightest sound of a hard drive clicking or a fan whirring :)

-Tharin O.

Brian Weeden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: I was actually thinking about the
virtualization comment from Tharin.
I use XP mainly because of gaming.  I have Ubuntu on my laptop and
much prefer it for your daily office/internet/stuff usage but of
course gaming sucks.  And I would really prefer to use OSX for my
video work because the tools are just easier to use and interface
better.

Has anyone built a virtualization box?  Meaning, it should be possible
to have 3 OS images (XP, Linux, OSX) and just moving between the three
as you see fit.  Now that I could see needing a quadcore and about 4GB
of RAM.

Aside from I/O becoming your chokepoint, anything else I'm not
thinking about that would prevent such a setup from running?

--
Brian Weeden